Just fresh air?

Page 1 of 2
US 2000 A4 1.8T. I have read the manual and tried every combination on my climate control system and don't see a way to just let fresh air into the cabin. This morning it was a nice 50F out but the
sun was warming up the cabin. So I have to run the A/C to cool off the car when it's already cold out? Seems silly.
--
- Kyle

Hit the ECON button. That turns off the compressor and just runs the fans, which will be outside air (unless of course you have the recirc button pressed also).
-- Matt

Ah great! I was wondering about that.. I dislike the fake coolness of ACs and only use them when it's really hot but I prefer real fresh outside air. I hadn't found out yet how to get the system to just use the blowers without the AC..
Thanks!

In playing with this over the weekend, I determined on ECON mode it still adheres to the temperature setting. So the heater will kick in if needed. There doesn't seem to be an absolute override to the whole system that lets you just let fresh air IN THE VENTS, no question, which is what I want. I am well aware that opening windows or the sunroof will let fresh air in, but I want the windows shut when I listen to music and/or am going 80mph.
--
- Kyle

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:55:42 GMT, kylet@ s h o r e . n e t (Kyle Tucker) wrote:

Geesus, you'd think this was a fricken space shuttle launch...
First, the ECON button only disables the hvac compressor. So the interior won't be able to get any *colder* than ambient, but yes, the heater core is still in the loop, so if you set the temperature higher than ambient, the system *will* warm the air.
Just like it was designed to do.
If you want Just Plain Air (tm) then enable ECON mode and set the interior temperature at or below the exterior temperature.
Et voila! With these settings the system won't add heat, and it can't "add cool".
And for some reason I feel compelled to add: the exterior temperature can be found in the middle of your info system display, and the interior temperature is set in degrees...
hth ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

No, I'd think it was an inquiry as whether or not a method exists to get JUST FRESH AIR into the cabin. Apparently there is not.
--
- Kyle

e t (Kyle Tucker) writes:

Set "ECON" mode, and set the temp to "LOW". That will just blow ambient air into the cabin. Set the fan speed as appropriate.
--
Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7) snipped-for-privacy@zk3.dec.com
HP/Compaq Corporation snipped-for-privacy@compaq.com
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:18:06 GMT, kylet@ s h o r e . n e t (Kyle Tucker) wrote:

If you still believe that, you are laboring under a major comprehension deficit...which would explain a lot...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, plenty o' fresh air...

It surely would. I should have made the original subject "Just fresh untainted air?".
--
- Kyle

day snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEyahoo.com wrote:

I've always been comfortable using the thermostat around 68-73F. I get plenty of fresh air. Sure, it might heat it up a little if it's 50F outside, but this has never bothered me. I can't imagine needing it set colder than 63F.
Chris
Kyle Tucker wrote:

As I remember, there have only been two occasions on which space shuttles have managed to get fresh air into their crew, and these were not especially happy occasions . . .
To the OP: I believe your question is quite justified though. On many cars with climate control, it is indeed possible to turn off *all* ways of modifying the air (i.e. heating, cooling, fans) and get real honestogod unprocessed air.
I went looking for this as soon as I bought my car but then gave up . . .
That the Audi does not offer this option is a puzzle. Not a problem though, since a combination of econ, low temp, and low fan will do the trick. But that's a lot of fiddlin around just to get rid of the technology in the chain, don't you think?
My guess on why this is so, is that the cabin air intakes are probably oriented in such a way that they can not propel air into the cabin just by the motion of the car - hence the need for a fan. And once you have a fan in the chain . . .
/Robert
writes:

<snip>
The origins of this post are probably lost in the mists of time, but..
..on a TT you simply pull the Climate Control knob to deactivate the mechanical gubbins. This is quite separate from Econ mode, and may well exist in other models..
--

Hairy One Kenobi

Pulling the CC knob in a TT disables everything and no outside air will be let into the car; resulting in one hot ride for all the wrong reasons ;-) AFAICT this is not what the OP wanted.. he just wants to disable the AC and use the blowers with fresh air instead of processed air. The million dollar question is: does "ECON" switch off the AC and blows outside air into the car instead?

Hmm.. looks like I'll have to try that again - AFAIK Econ kills the compressor, and pulling the switch disables the fans. Air still gets in through normal airflow (just as on any other car)
H1K
To: kylet@ s h o r e . n e t (Kyle Tucker) Re: Re: Just fresh air? By: kylet@ s h o r e . n e t (Kyle Tucker) to alt.autos.audi on Tue Sep 16 2003 03:18 pm
> No, I'd think it was an inquiry as whether or not a method > exists to get JUST FRESH AIR into the cabin. Apparently there > is not.
Well duh....what do you think econ is ? Unless you raise the requested temp to above the outside and interior temp sensors you will get only outside air. Where did you think it came from?
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:56:15 CST, "Kcvwdoc"

What do those of us without an ECON button do? My 1998.5 A4 2.8 doesn't have one.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:56:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@suds.com wrote:

Does your A4 actually have air-conditioning? There'd be no ECON button unless you have a compressor to turn off with it...
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:33:46 -0400, daytripper

Yes, it does have air conditioning. There is no button on the console that says ECON. There is a button with an odd graphic, but my owner's manual says it simply overrides the default vent settings to only the windshield and dashboard, ISTR.

Well, you push the snowflake button to turn the compressor off. That would be the equivalent of "ECON" in my opinion. I have the exact same car as you, works well for me on cool crisp days.
Romy '98.5 A4Q 2.8L

That's what I do, keep the snowflake off unless I want the AC, but my cabin air feels nothing like the outside air because it's so heavily influenced by the fan and temperature controls. I just find it annoying to have to constantly adjust the cabin temps to match the outside temps when all I want is for my vents to bring in virgin outside air. Yes, sometimes I open the windows, but that's not my preference.