Just fresh air?

US 2000 A4 1.8T. I have read the manual and tried every combination on my climate control system and don't see a way to just let fresh air into the cabin. This morning it was a nice 50F out but the sun was warming up the cabin. So I have to run the A/C to cool off the car when it's already cold out? Seems silly.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

Hit the ECON button. That turns off the compressor and just runs the fans, which will be outside air (unless of course you have the recirc button pressed also).

-- Matt

Reply to
snoogans27

Open a window? Crack open the sunroof?

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
elroy

Ah great! I was wondering about that.. I dislike the fake coolness of ACs and only use them when it's really hot but I prefer real fresh outside air. I hadn't found out yet how to get the system to just use the blowers without the AC..

Thanks!

Reply to
Bram

In playing with this over the weekend, I determined on ECON mode it still adheres to the temperature setting. So the heater will kick in if needed. There doesn't seem to be an absolute override to the whole system that lets you just let fresh air IN THE VENTS, no question, which is what I want. I am well aware that opening windows or the sunroof will let fresh air in, but I want the windows shut when I listen to music and/or am going 80mph.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

Geesus, you'd think this was a fricken space shuttle launch...

First, the ECON button only disables the hvac compressor. So the interior won't be able to get any *colder* than ambient, but yes, the heater core is still in the loop, so if you set the temperature higher than ambient, the system *will* warm the air.

Just like it was designed to do.

If you want Just Plain Air (tm) then enable ECON mode and set the interior temperature at or below the exterior temperature.

Et voila! With these settings the system won't add heat, and it can't "add cool".

And for some reason I feel compelled to add: the exterior temperature can be found in the middle of your info system display, and the interior temperature is set in degrees...

hth ;-)

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

No, I'd think it was an inquiry as whether or not a method exists to get JUST FRESH AIR into the cabin. Apparently there is not.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

Set "ECON" mode, and set the temp to "LOW". That will just blow ambient air into the cabin. Set the fan speed as appropriate.

Reply to
Andrew Duane USG

What is wrong with opening windows?

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
elroy

If you still believe that, you are laboring under a major comprehension deficit...which would explain a lot...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, plenty o' fresh air...

Reply to
daytripper

Too much wind in the cabin? Wind resistance reducing gas mileage? I for one would like to have plain old fresh air in my A4 (1998) without opening windows for the above reasons and haven't been able to figure out how when temps are low (like 50F) because using daytripper's instructions I have discovered that I can't set my ambient cabin temp below 63F. The display reads LO and seems to kick in the cooling system.

I miss my 1995 VW Passat for this reason; I could get the outside air in the cabin with ease and comfort.

Reply to
xymergy

It surely would. I should have made the original subject "Just fresh untainted air?".

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

I've always been comfortable using the thermostat around 68-73F. I get plenty of fresh air. Sure, it might heat it up a little if it's 50F outside, but this has never bothered me. I can't imagine needing it set colder than 63F.

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

As I remember, there have only been two occasions on which space shuttles have managed to get fresh air into their crew, and these were not especially happy occasions . . .

To the OP: I believe your question is quite justified though. On many cars with climate control, it is indeed possible to turn off *all* ways of modifying the air (i.e. heating, cooling, fans) and get real honestogod unprocessed air.

I went looking for this as soon as I bought my car but then gave up . . .

That the Audi does not offer this option is a puzzle. Not a problem though, since a combination of econ, low temp, and low fan will do the trick. But that's a lot of fiddlin around just to get rid of the technology in the chain, don't you think?

My guess on why this is so, is that the cabin air intakes are probably oriented in such a way that they can not propel air into the cabin just by the motion of the car - hence the need for a fan. And once you have a fan in the chain . . .

/Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown

The origins of this post are probably lost in the mists of time, but..

..on a TT you simply pull the Climate Control knob to deactivate the mechanical gubbins. This is quite separate from Econ mode, and may well exist in other models..

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Haven't figured a way around the one touch windows yet, huh? Farfignugen... Try just an inch or two. Not too much wind, and the cheeseburger you had for lunch would have a more adverse effect on milage. Moonroof is even better if you have one.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

Pulling the CC knob in a TT disables everything and no outside air will be let into the car; resulting in one hot ride for all the wrong reasons ;-) AFAICT this is not what the OP wanted.. he just wants to disable the AC and use the blowers with fresh air instead of processed air. The million dollar question is: does "ECON" switch off the AC and blows outside air into the car instead?

Reply to
Bram

Hmm.. looks like I'll have to try that again - AFAIK Econ kills the compressor, and pulling the switch disables the fans. Air still gets in through normal airflow (just as on any other car)

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I thought a while back I read that to get outside airflow, you have to switch to the "LO" setting while having the "ECON" mode switched on. This would simply turn the fan on to direct outside air into the cabin. Or so I was told.

Reply to
Quattro28

It now occurs to me that the OP actually wanted fresh air without even the fan running....

Reply to
daytripper