K&N Filters

Are they worth the money in regards performance increases?
Thanks,
Bill Graham

Bill Graham wrote:

No.

I did not notice any with my S3. Perhaps with exhaust modifications?
Also, there been reports of oil contaminating the MAF sensor, IIRC. -- Doug Ramage
***Watch Spam Trap***
Doug Ramage wrote:

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Free-er flowing filtration means more contaminants in your engine. Also, ever try cleaning and re-oiling a K&N filter? It's a supreme mess. All that hassle, the risk of allowing more crap into your engine, and you *might* get a couple of HP out of it. Hardly seems worthwhile to me...
cheers,

I think for street driving you are correct but I do like the K&N for off-road vehicles. They do trap dirt particles very well and though I won't say they are far superior than paper filters its nice to able to wash out a really dirty filter after a long weekend off-road.
Cost is a factor too... I installed the K&N's on my Jeep when it was brand new and five years later with 77000+ miles I have the same filter... It has paid for itself, including the extra $11 for the cleaner/oil spray which I just ran out of for the first time.
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

No - I just saw an article about Audis air intake modifications. As many of us think, that those filters improve performance, this article clearly showed that there aint a bit difference between normal and "tuning" filters, at least performance vise. Article measured air pressure before and after filter and with normal/K&N filter. The difference was almost nothing. The only difference I have noticed is the intake sounds improving, but is that worth in normal traffic, where no one likes to hear those improved intake air sounds after some days!