Keyless entry remote battery

Hi, My remote key batteries died and I see that the batteries in it were Panasonic CR1620. Just want to know if I can use Panasonic BR1620 batteris instead, since I'm unable to find the CR1620 model in a local store (even in the case of the BR1620, I could get an equivalent in another brand, but not Panasonic). Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, keychey.

Reply to
girishsmanian

Well, for the few bucks it'll cost you to conduct the experiment, it's probably worth a try in a pinch, and it'd be a benign experiment as well (you won't hurt anything if it doesn't work out).

The BR1620 and CR1620 are physically identical and provide the exact same Nominal Voltage, but they use different chemistries, tuned for different applications. They therefore exhibit different characteristics, a key one being Operating Temperature Ranges, with the BR series extending the high temp limit by 20°C over CR series.

If that was all there was different, you'd be good to go, but there are more significant differences, with the key one being Continuous Drain (BR = .03mA, CR = .10mA) which means the BR can only provide 30% of the current of the CR when you push the button on your key. The effects of this could range from virtually nil to reduced range to total lack of function, depending on how much power the key transmitter actually demands to do its job.

Cheers

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks for the information, appreciate that. Saw a CR1620 model by Radio Shack (not Panasonic) being available in a nearby store. Will try that out tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks again, keychey.

Reply to
girishsmanian

Those CR1620 batteries from Radio Shack worked just fine, just had to re-program the remote after replacing the old ones.

keychey.

Reply to
girishsmanian