Keys

A new Audi came with two kinds of keys, metal ones which fold into a remote control fob and a plastic service key.

Can someone explain the intended functionality of the plastic service key?

I find I can use the plastic key to unlock a vehicle which has its alarm set and without sounding the alarm - but then the key will not start the vehicle. But if the alarm has not been set, then the plastic key can start the vehicle.

Does my plastic key do everything correctly?

Are there any electronic components (e.g. an RFI chip) in the key which needs to be married to the vehicle or is its manufacture just one of copying the pattern? Can extra plastic service keys be simply mailed to me and not need to be fitted, installed or trained to the vehicle?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote

The idea behind a service key (although in the case of my '01 A4 it was not plastic - it was metal with plastic fob, but not switchblade-type), is to prevent the service people from getting into the trunk and glove compartment, in case you have items there that you don't want them to see. So, if you lock the trunk and glove compartment with one of your regular keys, they cannot be opened with the service key.

I also got an all-plastic small flat key (for wallet), that would do everything a full-size key would do.

Of course, my A4 was a US-version without immobilizer. I don't know how such keys would work on a car that had the immobilizer.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

That is the key I am asking about. The Owner's manual calls it "a spare key". The dealer's parts department called it a service key, but it is identical in profile and cross-section to the master keys and also it definitely is able to open the vehicle's glove box.

Can this key be ordered remotely or must it be electronically married to the vehicle? It looks inert to me but again the dealer parts department insists that it holds electronics which need installation.

And that is probably the area where I need some help and advice.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

I believe it's meant as an emergency key that should have all the functionality of the metal keys.

Again I believe it should unlock and start the vehicle as normal. After unlocking the doors you do have a finite amount of time before you can start the car. I'm not near my manual at the moment but I can check later.

They will need to be coded to the car in order to use them. A dealer usually charges 0.5 hours labour for this even though it's a 5-10 minute job. If you know someone with VAG-COM then they may be able to do it.

HTH

Reply to
Dave

the plastic key, in my manual, is called a Spare key. It says it fits ALL locks on the car. Well I just tried it and yes it fits the locks but it wont lift the drivers door locking knob. So much for a spare.

dj

Reply to
Glittery Gary

That is odd. Mine unlocks the driver's door (the only door with a key operated lock) as well as the glove box lock and ignition/steering lock, just fine.

Maybe try that again with a little more torque?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

with a little more torque..........yes perhaps it's because it's a smaller headed jobby, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

dj

Reply to
Glittery Gary

Not likely...the *ALL PLASTIC* key the OP is referring to has no electronics of any kind within....

Reply to
daytripper

I suspected that but the dealer's parts department insists otherwise. That is why I brought the question here.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

On the TT, one has (or "had" in my case..) a small plastic "wallet" key.

It has an immobiliser chip - which means that you can start the car - but, in the UK it doesn't disable the alarm. "Thatcham" rules. Apparently.

For RoTW, AFAIK, it will disable the alarm/immobiliser and generally act as a "normal" key.

The service key is marked with a sort of hammer symbol (refreshingly honest!), and will not open the glovebox or (allegedly) boot [trunk]. It lacks the groove of the normal keys (take a look..)

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion in the first place. So there!

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

We now have one vote for the parts department who also say there is a chip inside to allow the key to start the car. I'll have to keep score :-)

My car (allroad) did not come with any genuine service key (or a trunk!), but I see some rebates running along the keys' edges which would make it possible to make larger non-rebated keys operate say the door and ignition but would not fit into the locks of something else - say the glove box.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

It just occurred to me that the difference may be a North America (sans immobilizer) vs Europe (with the immobilizer). The wallet key I was issued for my NA B5 S4 is just a piece of plastic....

Reply to
daytripper

my service key depicts an adjustable spanner...........America its termed a crescent wrench (I believe).

Reply to
Glittery Gary

The message from "Hairy One Kenobi" contains these words:

Republic of Tunbridge Wells?

Reply to
Guy King

I can't remember what came with my 1996 A4, but my 2000 A6 was delivered with one of these 'service' keys. However, my wife's 2003 A2 and my

2003 RS6 only came with two standard folding keys and a plastic key. Have Audi stopped issuing the service keys?
Reply to
Peter Bell

Well I'm in the UK which may be different but my plastic key will start the car. The manual doesn't actually say very much about it other than using it temporarily if the flip keys have been lost. Since it's plastic it'll wear out quickly so you'd need to get a metal key fairly quickly.

Maybe it was our Bora manual that mentioned something about turning on the ignition within 30 seconds of unlocking the car so the alarm wouldn't sound.

Just to be clear, the three VAG cars that I've owned have all come with two metal keys and one plastic spare key. I haven't tried the plastic key in our Lupo but I'll see what it does later.

Reply to
Dave

The "all plastic" key /does/ start the car which, by definition, means that it contains an immobiliser chip. Mine tended to get used in winter - start the car to de-ice the glass & warm the seats, lock it with the standard key, and have another cup of coffee ;o)

Cheers,

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I haven't checked (of course), but from what I 've been told:

  1. Two "normal" keys with remote controls - for normal use (you and your spouse).
  2. One "valet" key with limited capabilities - for valets to park it, etc.
  3. One plastic "spare" key to let you (temporarily) use the car if the "normal" key is lost or unavailable.

All these keys have the immobilizer chip (or so I was told).

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Mouse

I can confirm 1 and 3 and the point about all being chipped, but no valet key (i.e. a key with somewhat larger cross-section so that it can not be inserted into certain more restricted locks such as glove box or trunk) with a UK spec allroad. But also no trunk - it's really an A6 Avant but with variable height pneumatic suspension and reinforced under-floor pan.

The "normal" keys are too large for my tastes and tailoring so I am buying some extra spare keys which can do everything the same - just not remotely.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Do you always wear skin tight lycra then? ;-)

Reply to
Dave