Lack of power at 3200 RPM (170 Kmh) A6 2.5 TDI 1999

Hi All, Fault recently my A6 has been feeling rather sluggish at speeds above 170Kmh and is having trouble gaining any speed above 180Kmh in 5/6th gear at around

3200 Rpm .

History I had the Timing belt changed recently, is there a possibility that the fault could be something simple like a lead has not been conected by the Audi garage, or a my problems more serious?

PLEASE HELP as I travel large distances every weekend.

Reply to
rockfanatic

-- Jay. (remove dashes for legal email address)

Reply to
Jay Somerset

What do you mean TROLLING ????

Reply to
rockfanatic

Have your MAF (mass airflow meter) checked and replace if the culprit.

Reply to
Ernest

The MAF is a secure bet. Gives exactly the described result. The exchange job is about ten minutes (the MAF is at the left rear side of the engine bay, if standing in front of the car and looking into the engine bay). The dealer tells me that the MAF's for this Modelyear are at the moment at 100 Euro. Go to Audi and ask for a nice rebate. I had mine replaced recently and paid 30% of the parts price and nothing for labor.

Oh, and ask if the postheating technical modification has been done :-)

There's a technical bulletin out by Audi telling the dealars to switch off MAF post operation heating (running for one minute after 'ignition off'). This is done by physically cutting a cable and then routing a new cable from the electronic box in the engine bay to the MAF. My Audi garage charged me 15 Euros for the mod.

Regards

Wolfgang (1999 2,5 TDI V6)

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Hello Wolfgang and all other peaple who responded

I will go to Dealer this afternoon and ask if they can check The MAF out for me.

Will get back to you, cheers for your replys

Reply to
rockfanatic

MAF checkout is done during a testdrive. There will be no record in the onboard dignostic. The MAF is not wired into that. What they do is something like third gear, roll with 30km/h, press the pedal to the metal with the VAG COM tool connected to the car, watch the reported air flow. When passing through 3krpm there must be a certain value on the readout (around 800 IIRC but don't quote me). If its less, MAF is gone.

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

The Garage have just informed me that it was the MAF (Spot On Wolfgang) I pick it up tomorrow and will see how much it hurts my bank account lol.

Reply to
rockfanatic

I'd be curious as how much they charge you there..

Regards (and good luck)

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Hi Wolfgang They Charged me 173 Euro OUCH,

I have since found out that when I bought the car this fault was already on it, I did not notice at first because before the A6 I had an Opel Frontera and getting speeds of 200Kph was a dream.

All I can say now is WOW I never thought it would be so easy to travel from Bielefeld to Koln in less than 2 hours. 220+Kph with no trouble at all.

I LOVE MY AUDI, Pity the last guy sold it because it had no power when towing lol

Reply to
rockfanatic

Consider yourself lucky, some months ago the MAF's were at 400 Euro a piece.

hehe.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Wolfgang

Reply to