Looking at a '99 A6 Avant

I've been looking at a 1999 A6 2.8 wagon lately. It looks to be in really good shape, rides and drives well and everything appears to work properly. Timing belt has been done and all maintenance has been done at dealership religiously (if I can believe the seller). It has 180,000 kms on - a bit more than I would have preferred but it feels newer than the mileage indicates. The seller will also take my Jetta on trade and give me decent price for it. What should I be looking out for or be concerned about (need to check over more carefully). Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bernie

You might find that there is an oil smell caused by minor oil leak from the valve cover gasket and cam tensioner seals. Typical of the 2.8 but is more of a bother than a functional issue.

Reply to
TonyJ

I'd check the receipts for proof of the servicing claims.

Weak spots:

- Front steering/suspension.

- Water pump on some engines (normally done with timing belt) [Don't know if the 2.8 is affected].

- Electric windows/central locking.

- Petrol engines not economical.

Otherwise they are good cars. I have one.

Unless you get a very good trade-in price I'd suggest selling your Jetta somewhere else. You can normally haggle a discount if you have nothing to trade in IME.

Reply to
Mark