Loopy Question: VW Diesel into Audi 200?

I am thinking about replacing the 10v gas engine in my Audi with a diesel. My reasons for wanting to do this are probably not very good ones, but I want more info anyway. I'm pretty sure that Audi has never sold a diesel here in the US, so if I go through with this, I'll be looking to a suitable VW diesel engine for transplantation. If Audi *did* sell a diesel in the US, I'd be interested in knowing the years and models in which it was available, and how easily any such engines would bolt into my Audi.

So for all you mechanics out there who are familiar with both old Audis and old VW's: What VW diesel(s) would you recommend for transplantation into this car? And how much labor do you expect would be involved in the swap? (I'm not a mechanic -- not even of the shade-tree variety -- and so I'd have to hire out the actual work.) I'm hoping that at least one older VW diesel engine will bolt directly to the existing transmission and not require too much in the way of motor mount modification.

Yes, this is a very old car, and no, the result of all this effort would probably not be worth what I'd have just put into it. But I've never been known for making sound financial decisions. And I'm still just in the "thinking about it" stage at this point, anyway.

Thanks in advance,

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Greg Reed

I thinkwhat you'll want is the 5-cyl TDI, or the older 5cyl indirect-injection turbodiesel. The Transporter van here in Europe had the TDI until quite recently, and the Audi 100 TDi in about 1993. I don't think VW cars used the 5cyl diesel engine at all: Until quite recently all VW diesels were 1.6 or 1.9 litre 4-cyl IIRC. You *might* get a 4cyl passat engine (from a pre-1988 or post 1996 car- one without a transverse engine!) maybe to fit, but I think you'll need the transmission and a good few other bits. Any of this isn't likely to be easy, and is going to cost $$$$. One of the 5-cyl engines seems the more likely fit, as I think they're based on the same block as your petrol (gas) engine. I'm no expert though. This is a slightly educated guess at best.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Audi had a 5 cyclinder diesel in their 5000 along with a turbo diesel. Also had a 4 cylinder in the 400 I think it was back in the late 70's or early

80;s

Reply to
<justgrr8