Lost Ignition Key: Audi 1998

I lost my ignition key to my 1988 Audi, (recently acquired as a used vehicle) and I am seeking information on how to replace the key.
Does this begin with a call to the Audi dealer?
Or a locksmith?
ANY information will be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Correction:
That's a 1988 Audi.
(And it is a friend's car)
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

call up the dealer in your area and ask for advice. Both will be expensive, relatively, but if you can do some of the work yourself like removing one of the locks....you should be able to save some $$$ I would suggest removing the trunk lock and/or door lock. Audis use valet keys too that will usually not fit the trunk lock.
--
later,
dave

a 1988 is quite old so if you have a spare key you can get one made at a good locksmith if you have a spare, if you don't have a spare you will have problems,
Steve.

On newer audis the dealer can get a new key based on the chassis number of the car - if it also goes for 1088 models I dont know.
/Jens