MAF Location on A6Q 2.4 V6

I hope someone can help me with the following I have an A6QSE 2.4 V6 tiptronic, UK 2000 model , which I am getting very frustrated with. Had the car about 10 months. The performance has never been
startling, just smooth but recently it has got quite bad. I drove an A6 1.9tdi130 today and it knocks mine for six. I have noticed my car hunts after starting when warm, it settles down but also whilst idling the exhaust gases smell very strong of petrol, as if it is running very rich. Pick up is very sluggish, it gts better when you get to 3000rpm. I know it's not a quick car 'cos of quattro running gear and being a tiptronic, but it doesn't seem right. I have read simialr complaints regarding hunting and poor running, and all seem to point to a dirty or faulty MAF sensor. Can someone advise if this could be the problem, and where is the MAF located. Is it possible to be cleaned by a relatively competent DIYer. Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.
Ian.

Hi. Look for the posts in this group on the 14th regarding cleaning the throttle body for your symptoms.
Rgds Alec
When was the last time you changed the 02 (Oxygen) sensors??? They usually last for approx 60,000 miles. Strong smell of gas is an indication that the 02 sensor is not working properly. The 02 sensor tells the ECU how much gas to air mixture to use.
Alec wrote:

When was the last time you changed the 02 (Oxygen) sensors??? They usually last for approx 60,000 miles. Strong smell of gas is an indication that the 02 sensor is not working properly. The 02 sensor tells the ECU how much gas to air mixture to use.
Alec wrote:

Hi
Thanks for the pointers. I decided to have a look to see what was what, I hadn't really looked to see where these sensors were. I think I've managed to sort the problem now. I found a plug unclipped from what I think was the O2 sensor, (top of intake after the air box, slightly above where I think the MAF is?).
Please correct me if the above is not right, but since clipping the lead back the car has run much better, no more hunting and the petrol smell from the exhaust gas has now gone.
Thanks all.
Ian.

I found a plug unclipped from what I think was the

That's the MAF. The O2 sensor is on the exhaust.
Rgds Alec