Mahle or Mann

Does any one have any bad experiences using oil filter from Mahle and Mann for 1.8 A4 2001 ?

Hunter

Reply to
audidrive

"audidrive" wrote

Nope. They make the OEM filters for most VAG cars. Never had any problems with them.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I've just had bad experiences with the used 1.8T A4 (B6) I bought last April. Mahle filter is very similar to the Audi filter. (BTW make sure you're getting the oversized filter for the turbo, part#068115561)

Here's a message I recently posted to Audifans:

----- Original Message ----- From: Arthur Marks To: snipped-for-privacy@audifans.com ; snipped-for-privacy@audifans.com Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:53 PM Subject: Cut open my oil filter

(If someone would like to do this with a filter used for 5000 - 10000 miles on a clean 1.8T I'd love to see it.)

Here's the innards of the Mahle filter I just took off my A4 1.8T with the sludge problem (for a refresher: the problem arose under Audi care -- original filter spec and dino oil as Audi had not yet switched their specs -- at the second oil change which was 12471 miles after the first). Inside of the engine has been cleaned according to the Audi Sludge TSB.

Filter parts: (I cut it open using several of those cheap rotary tool cut-off wheels that disintegrate.)

Not much to it. A spring holds the core and gasket against the open end. The gasket seals the incoming oil from the flow out the center and keeps oil from draining back into the pan when the engine is stopped. There is a spring loaded gasket at the top that will allow oil to bypass clogged paper if the pressure differential within the filter gets too high.

The filter paper stretched out (used a hand saw to cut it out):

This is 1400 miles since the cleanup. (I feel the TSB cuts corners, to do it right the head should probably be pulled and soaked in solvent instead of scraped by hand in place)

Hopefully, next time this won't be so bad. It actually doesn't seem that bad now considering the amount of crud I removed from the head.

--Art

(Unfortunately, it looks like yahoo took over thefreeimagehosting and set all kinds of limits. Pics should be viewable for a month or until bandwidth limit is exceeded)

Reply to
Art M

Wouldn't use anything else. don

Reply to
nospam

I have absolutely no experience of Mahle filters but I know for a fact that Mann manufactures the original filter that is mounted by Audi. If you check an original filter you can see that it is really a rebranded Mann filter.

/Stefan

audidrive skrev:

Reply to
Stefan Barme