Moving from a MT to a Tiptronic or DSG - do you miss the clutch foot exercise?

I currently drive a 99 pasat wagon, 1.8T, 5spd MT, after 198K miles it's time to think about what I going to drive next.

Jumping up to a quatro is very appealing to me, the price for a new a4q is not applealing to my wife, and the short supply does help me to beat the dealer down.

So looking at a a3 quatro, or possibly previoulsy owned cars.

On the a3 I'd wind up with v6 (more engine than I think I need in that car) and DSG and a price right around what I'd pay for a a4q.

Looking at previously owned cars - a dealer has a certified '03 with leather int., 36K miles 1.8T. NADA says this car will be right around $23K definetly in the ballpark for my wife.

My first question is for people that have moved from a MT to either DSG or tiptronic. Do you miss the left foot excerise? Do you feel the entire Audi expierence is lacking in either of these configurations?

Second question is more general. My gut feel is the minor but still noticable turbo lag of the 1.8T combined with an automatic transmission makes for a less than optimal driving expierence. Is my gut correct? Is the combination of the 1.8T and the tiptronic a good one?

Thanx, Jack

Reply to
Jack Lowry

The message from Jack Lowry contains these words:

I have my first (ordinary) automatic, though I've driven autos on and off for years, and I've love it. Don't miss gears at all. Much more relaxing than having to row the car down the road.

Reply to
Guy King

"Jack Lowry" wrote

That is the conclusion that I came to after driving a B5 A4 1.8Tqm and 1.8Tq Tip back to back. There was noticeably less power, and the gear shifting was noticeably delayed when in Tip mode (that can be fixed to an extent with a tip chip).

Good for what? If you like spirited driving and are a control freak (like I am), then no. If you don't feel like lifting your left leg, then it's OK. It just doesn't feel sporty, at least to me. I was coming off of a V6 Accord auto, and I was bored to death with its transmission, so getting a manual 1.8T was an easy choice for me.

Pete

Reply to
Pete