MPG after belt + change.

A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
29..............would this be expected.

Must be something else like tire pressure or outside temperature or whatever.
Ronald

I woke up this morning and within 5 minutes it started raining :-)
Regards
Jonathan
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:18:18 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Morton"

Stay in bed tomorrow, I have plans to go fishing ;-)
Juan Hanglow wrote:

If the mechanic changing it got the timing wrong it could do- if for example the valvegear was out by one tooth it would be enough to affect performance but might not damage the engine.

including
That thought crossed my mind after I posted my earlier, frivolous, reply. But even one tooth would cause a huge loss of power/performance, wouldn't it?
Juan, is performance otherwise unaffected?
Regards
Jonathan
message

no, performance is much the same, if anything a little better. This made me think it adjusted the timing a little................so if that's the case then it would consume a little more fuel. This with the added thought that everything is tight and may require more power. The job was carried out by a very competent garage..........I made sure about that.

If the performance is better, are you giving it a bit more welly perhaps?

If this was the case, there would be alot more than 2 mpg to worry about.

How do you notice something like that?
My mpg varies wildly on a weekly basis.

the digital onboard computer tells me and cos I got a policy..........keep the revs between 1500-2500 on average.......55/60mph. I also use minor B roads most of the time.

Mine tells me too (in my 'budget' A4.....), but I don't really pay much notice of it. Last tank was 26.9mpg, but I've seen as much as 35.5mpg.
I certainly couldn't see a pattern in it.

If you have to have a "policy" to drive a V6 why not just go for a smaller engine, then you won't need to worry so much,

A 90bhp TDI would suit him nicely.
SteveH wrote:

Yep. If you like the torque, but usually limit yourself in that rev range a 90/110 TDi will feel just like the V6 and give you 50+ MPG. The 110 would be a bit better as it spins up a bit quicker. Mind you, by 1500rpm either one will be nicely on boost.