Multitronic

I just received my new A4 1.8T 3 days ago. It's equipped with a Multitronic gearbox.
I've read in the manual that because of the transmission (no differential lock), when starting from a complete stop on an UPHILL
you should use the parking brake in order to avoid the car giong backward.
I've noticed this is extremely noticeable. The car needs maybe 2-3 seconds of throttle in order to start moving forward, and if brake is not applied during that time (and released gradually) the car will go back for a couple of meters.
I've been driving automatic transmissions for many years, and this is (on uphills) worst than a manual.
Also, I have noticed that even starting from zero in a flat surface, the car is not very responsive (I think it's the combination of the turbo lag and the multitronic. Once the car is going I have no complains about it responsiveness or the transmission.
I'd like to ask if this is the normal behavior (because of what the manual says) and I just have to get used to that or if it is a defect in my car and it shouldn't be noticeable?
Thanks.
On 19 Jan 2004 06:01:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spammotel.com (Pablo Rodriguez) wrote:

I test drove the multitronic and this 'lag' or 'thinking second' was exactly what made me not buying it.

Regards
Wolfgang
--
* Audi A6 Avant TDI *
* reply to wolfgang dot pawlinetz at chello dot at *

I have only driven with multitronic for a few days (loan cars). I was quite impressed.
I don't remember any "lag" problem, but I did tend drive it like a manual. -- Doug Ramage
I have a multitronic 2.4 A4 (UK spec) and whilst my car does not roll back on a hill as you suggest it does need quite a bit of throttle to get moving on an incline - obviously it depends on the steepness but I would not say it's behaviour is significantly worse or different to a normal automatic gearbox.
Regarding the responsiveness I think I know what you mean - it does not move immediately on set off but the lag in my case is maybe a quarter of a second or so that's all then it pulls really strong. I think as you suggest the lag you are experiencing may be partly the transmission and partly turbo lag - although our cars have similar power and torque figures I don't have to wait for the turbo to spin up but I bet your car has fantastic midrange power once it is rolling. If I want to get away really fast I use the tiptronic mode then there is no noticeable lag at all.
I think it may be a case of you getting used to it I don't think there is anything wrong with your car..

Pablo Rodriguez wrote:

I dunno, I test drove an A6 3.0 w/Multitronic and it didn't hesitate at all. I was pretty impressed with the responsiveness, actually, given only 220 hp in such a large car. Admittedly, I did not drive on any steep hills.
-- Mike Smith
I have an A4 3.0 with the multitronic. I've never noticed a lag or it rolling back on hills... but I guess it depends on how steep the grade is. You may be experiencing a bit of turbo lag-- you could always try the tiptronic mode if you think it helps, but you might want to have it checked-out to be sure you have no other problems.