My 1997 A8 experience

I purchased a certifed preowned 1997 Audi A8 in August of 2001. The car had two years left of the original warranty and was always maintained by the local dealership. After the warranty period, I had
the timing chain replaced by the local dealer for about $2500. In January of this year (at 101,000 miles) I had problems with the transmission. The dealer's extimate to repair the car was between $8,000 - $12,000. They refused to help me out in any way. They wouldn't even give me anything for trade-in on another Audi. I donated the car to Charity. Buyer Beware
Will wrote:

If you can name the dealer, the we could beware.
8 to 12 k$ is quite a bit. Makes me wonder what they wanted to repair.
Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

Which engine? Was it a regular automatic, a tiptronic or a manual transmission? Thanks.
--
Best regards.
Giovanni Tarantino