My A4 vs my old Passat

I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I got a car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I wrong?
My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.

There is even a huge difference betw. a '99 A4 and an '03 A4, as they're on a different production platform.
Cheers,
Pete

That's the 4 rings! Amazing how they do it!
Jens

'high end' VW does not equal 1.8T A4q. I tried to de-rationalilze the A4 purchase and couldn't do it.
Cam Newton wrote:

Then again, a Passat w/ 1.8T and Quattro (called 4Motion, but the Passat's 4Motion is the same as Quattro, rather than Haldex) costs about $3K less than a comparably equipped A4.
-- Mike Smith
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:08:50 -0400, Mike Smith

Can you get the Passat 1.8T with the equivalent of an A4's Sport Package? The 8E A4's suspension is good enough to rival a Bimmer. = Cesar Borgia

Go for the A4 1.8q. There is really no comparison. And the Passat 4Motion etc is a consolation prize. BMW's are over priced and a AWD version is $$$$$.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:08:50 -0400, Mike Smith

Smaller trunk for one thing and the kicker was having had 2 Jetta's (19 years for both) and one Golf, I could not look thru that same shiny plastic steering wheel for 10 more years. A nicely fluffed Passat does not equal an A4 1.8q. And I loaded the A4. Mmmm. I love this car; I just need to drive it more than the 240km/wk I am doing now. Maybe I should stay home more.

Mike Smith wrote:

As I understand it, no climate control, at least not w/ a 4Motion 1.8T manual. The A4 has nicer bits inside.
Dave Lugo snipped-for-privacy@etherboy.com LC Unit #260 TINLC