Need security advice for vulnerable Audi

Guys,
My house was burgled and unfortunately one of the things the thieves took was the spare remote for my 2001 Audi A3 tdi sports. I was away with the car
at the time so luckily they didn't get to steal that as well. But the problem is that my car is now a sitting duck as someone, somewhere has the only other remaining key.
Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???
Cheers Don

car
Maybe the OE one can be reprogrammed. In the meantime have an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser fitted, with new locks. and disable the OE one. Mike.

Sell it quickly?
Don Turner wrote:

Yep, change the locks. I've thought about advising to change the programming only but then they could still get into your car.
If your house was insured, maybe you can get them to pay for the locks change of the car as well, because it was a consequential damage?
Maybe just worth a try.
Regards
Wolfgang

As a first step, it should be possible to reprogram the remote so that the stolen one is no longer valid. I know that my car needs both a key and a valid remote to start the engine. I don't know about the A3, and as you say they would still be able to enter the car. I'd go and ask an Audi dealer.
--
Steve Walker

Steve Walker wrote:

That#s the same for an A3. If you visit the dealer, they can de-program the old key, and then it won't start the car. Obviously you need to change the locks to stop people getting in.
Don Turner wrote:

If you can get access to AUTODATA 2004 it will tell you how to reprogram your remaining key.
Alternatively go to your local Audi dealer and explain the situation and I am sure they will reprogram the key for you. It only takes a couple of minutes.
HTH

Try a visual deterrent aswell like a steering wheel lock. Chances are they were opportunistic, but they may know somebody....
Steph wrote:

they
If somebody wants to take a car and the only thing in the way is a steering wheel lock, it *will* get stolen. It takes about 30 seconds to saw through the steering wheel to get the (unbreakable) lock off. Check ebay for current prices of replacement steering wheels and decide for yourself whether it's economically viable. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; seen that)

Don't forget the immobiliser (compulsory over here for a fair number of years)
It's fairly common now for thieves to break-in to a house specifically to get car keys. Common enough that many car insurance policies explicitly exclude payment if your car it stolen using its own key.
Came face to face with two kids trying to do that to me, a week and a half ago - blind luck that I was at home at the time. Still sorting out the details for the identity parade.
--

Hairy One Kenobi

BTDT. They kicked in the front door of my mum's house at 3am when we were visiting one weekend. Subtle they're not.

Crikey, the police have got someone for it? We just got an incident number and the expectation that they would get away with it.
--
Steve Walker

writes

half
They knew who it was.. they even have a case sitting at the CPS from someone else, same circumstances.
Figures.
H1K
just claim on your house insurance !! they will cover new locks and de-programmeing any old keys and will probably supply a replacement car whilst the work is done. we have dealt with two similar cases recently at work with no problems.
Hope this helps
Radar

car

That's the theory but I remember a long battle a couple of years back at a brokers where I do some tech support where the insurance company said they wouldn't pay for new locks to be fitted but if the thieves came back and took his new AMG they would pay to replace that, there must be logic in there but I still fail to see it.

car
take a handful of fuses and solenoids out of the fusebox. the starter solenoid should do the trick.
PS - fuses are easier to get around as any lump of metal will bridge the gap.
Marc