Need to replace front struts.

I do not have much money and I need to get them fixed. I have read that you can do it your self and that you can not. How can I do this my-self? of i cannot how much should i expect to pay. 1995 audi a6
quattro sedan
On 10 Nov 2006 19:50:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oops, that answers some other questions, Cool! <g>
See my other reply in your other thread...
Do you have a place to work on it?
Do you have reasonable tools?
If yes, you can do many repairs yourself without too much trouble. Some will require hard work of course, a few will require special tools (which you may (big may) be able to borrow from a place such as AutoZone) and you *must* have a good (Bently) manual too.
First, get the manual. Start at eBay, there are several listed for this year/model for under $50. Read the manual (twice) before making further decisions.

A little more specific to the original post, yes, you can replace the struts yourself. In order to do so you need a 'spring compressor', among other tools you may or may not have at hand. And you must have the correct spring compressor for your struts. Bear in mind this is one job working on a car that can actually be very dangerous to your health. If you use the incorrect spring compressor you run the risk of the tool slipping while the spring is compressed. This isn't good.
If you want to save some money and don't have the correct tools for this remove the complete strut units and take them to someone who does. Replacing the strut inserts (shocks) is pretty simple with the right tools.
Alan
wtrplnet wrote:

wtrplnet wrote:

Eric.

I admit I'm not specifically familiar with the A6 suspension. As I read your post it appears that the entire strut remains in place and the cartridge is pulled out the top. If so this is a HUGE improvement over the way it used to be on VW/Audi products.
Alan
wtrplnet wrote:

Alan:
That is correct - the strut housing, spring, upper spring seat, etc need NOT to be removed to replace the strut cartridge.
Look at the top strut mount under the hood. There should be a plastic triangular-shaped cover over the strut mount. There are three self-locking nuts that attach the mount to car. (Slotted holes in the mount are for camber adjustment. Mark the location before removing) There is a larger single nut in the center of the mount that connects the strut rod to the upper mount. You have to hold the the strut rod with an allen wrench when loosening this nut. The allen socket in the end of the rod is an uncommon size - 7 mm, I think - not found in most allen wrench sets. Get one from sears. The nut itself is 'buried' in the upper washer and needs a socket for removal. Hence the tool for removing this nut is a deep socket with the side cut away. You insert the allen wrench thru the resulting opening to hold the strut rod from turning and loosen the nut with the socket.
Look at the condition of the upper strut mount rubber while you are there although they seem to have good life expectancy. About $50 for that part. Also examine the strut bellows - the rubber part that protects the strut rod. This is important to protecting the polished surface of the rod. If it is damaged, replace it. Less than $20.00 for this part.
There was quite a good writeup in the AudiFans page but the url seems to have expired. If you like, I can snail mail a copy.
Where are you located?
Don't hesitate to contact me for help.
Eric
wtrplnet wrote:

[...]

Eric, I'm not the original poster, I just gave my 2 cents worth mainly about being careful if using a spring compressor. I've replaced strut cartridges many times, years ago, when it was a LOT more work! I'll use your advice when I inherit my mothers A6 and put a set of Bilsteins on it.
Alan