New A3.. juddering clutch pedal

Page 2 of 2

There are probably as many different methods of teaching as there are driving instructors :-)
I was taught that, even when sitting at a red light, you have first gear engaged with the clutch pedal fully pressed down, *not* at the biting point. I personally keep the car in neutral as I prefer that to sitting in first, unless there is a good chance that the lights will change within about 5-10 seconds.
writes

Where we are, the lights just go to green, so you kind of have to look at the lights facing other directions to try to pre-empt the lights. If at this point that I bring the clutch up, it would judder and a knocking noise comes from the engine, just prior to my applying power. So, I can't get the bite and push the clutch in a little more, which eliminates the juddering (and noise). With the clutch in further, I apply more power and release the clutch more to move off.
At first I thought that it was the car about to stall (juddering) but I'm wondering why it happens sometimes only at the same biting point, and only when there's a bit of heat in the engine?
..Ray ekoSheren inc. awaits.. http://www.k-chan.net/TekBoy /

Give it a go, its a bit weird but quite handy. Keep your foot over the accelerator but not pressing on it, then slowly release the clutch. You'll feel the accelerator being pulled away from you and the anti-stall kick in. It takes a lot *not* to press the accelerator as a natural reflex :-)
Of course it can only help so much, so if you release the clutch too quickly it will stall.

Fully in.

Yeah, will give it a try later. I don't think this is documented in the manual, is it? The new A3 does seem to have some nice bits and pieces on there. I was quite surprised to find the wipers go to intermittent when the car is stopped, then goes back to the previous full setting when you move away. Handy! :D
..Ray ekoSheren inc. awaits.. http://www.k-chan.net/TekBoy /
eko wrote:

Yeah, this feature was nice in the BMWs. Took Audi 10 years to copy it from 300-series BMW. But it's a nice feature, but not really inventing ;). Anyway agreed, the new A3 has lots of these 'this is quality car' improvements, compared to the older A3. Yet, if they only had thought about tyrenoise, it's honestly awful. Our -95 BMW Compact is a lot quieter than my new A3 :(
- Yak

Actually this feature is on my existing A3 which is a 1997 model.

Certainly the old A3 is not noisy on the tyres I use.
Graham wrote:

Well, old A3 is noisier than new one, so I guess we're talking about different noise levels then. And check it with Finnish roads, we have rougher roads here, because we use those little spikes on winter. And it's noisy at that :(
- Yak
fi.invalid> writes

I notice they've also finally copied the BMW wiper system whereby they switch from normal speed to intermittent when you stop. I always liked that.
I also notice that this system works at the intermittent settings, so whichever of the four intermittent speeds you have selected, when you stop it slows the wipers down a bit. Don't know if current BMWs do that.
--
Toby

eko wrote:

Warranty should cover that, it's not normal behaviour.
- Yak

Thanks Yak. I do believe any repair should be covered by the warranty here. Have an appointment with the dealer on Monday, so will see how it goes.
Thanks again.
..Ray ekoSheren inc. awaits.. http://www.k-chan.net/TekBoy /