New A3.. juddering clutch pedal

Yeah, this feature was nice in the BMWs. Took Audi 10 years to copy it from 300-series BMW. But it's a nice feature, but not really inventing ;). Anyway agreed, the new A3 has lots of these 'this is quality car' improvements, compared to the older A3. Yet, if they only had thought about tyrenoise, it's honestly awful. Our -95 BMW Compact is a lot quieter than my new A3 :(

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

Actually this feature is on my existing A3 which is a 1997 model.

Certainly the old A3 is not noisy on the tyres I use.

Reply to
Graham

I tried the described procedure today in mine, and the revs didn't rise at all as I released the clutch slowly. Then again, mine's a diesel, and had enough torque even at idle to pull away slowly, so maybe the anti-stall is only needed on petrol models?

Reply to
Toby Groves

I notice they've also finally copied the BMW wiper system whereby they switch from normal speed to intermittent when you stop. I always liked that.

I also notice that this system works at the intermittent settings, so whichever of the four intermittent speeds you have selected, when you stop it slows the wipers down a bit. Don't know if current BMWs do that.

Reply to
Toby Groves

Well, old A3 is noisier than new one, so I guess we're talking about different noise levels then. And check it with Finnish roads, we have rougher roads here, because we use those little spikes on winter. And it's noisy at that :(

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

Some of you might remember this post from a little while back, about my experiences with a new A3 1.6 FSI and a juddering clutch at the biting point when the engine was heated up a little. When the car was at "normal" running temperature, engaging first from a stand point a bring the clutch to this biting point would cause the clutch itself to judder, though the gears worked as expected and no other problems were apparent.

As it turns out, this "juddering clutch" only happens when I have the climate control system on Auto mode. If I turn it down manually, or use the Econ mode, the juddering is not there. This is repeatable.. switching it back to Auto during operational would produce the juddering again.

The Audi guys say this is "normal". Any of you guys have witnessed this happening?

Thanks.

..Ray

Reply to
eko

I can't repeat that, I have no problem with Auto mode and clutch at all, although the clutch isn't the best I've driven. Still, I don't think that's normal, econ mode only affects somewhat to the power of the car (mm, some say that's noticeable in diesel cars.. but never heard of such with petrol cars).

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

Thanks Yak. Hmm.. now I'm annoyed, as they said it happened on pretty much all of them (me is the fool who beloeved them too). Will get back to them and ask for a demonstration of this "feature".

One thing.. you have a 2.0 FSI, right? Mine's the 1.6 FSI.. I wonder if there might be enough difference in "power-output" which might cause this issue? (just guessing here though)

Thanks.

..Ray

Reply to
eko

Do that, and maybe try some demo-car at other dealer too, and see if that has the same problem, at least you have more cases to prove.

Yeah, I've got one. I don't believe the difference in power means that much in this case, when you don't push either engine to the maximum. And especially, since the new A3 has the feature that you can just raise the clutch and it'll automatically accelerate. I don't see any juggering in this case either, and I use that feature a lot, feels quite smooth.

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

The original A3 also has this feature btw.

In fact, with the air-con on, you do need more power when moving off or you can stall it easier. The climate control definitely saps power from the original A3 (non turbo) 1.8 while its on.

Reply to
Graham