new purchase question - A4 help! mod question

Hi, I have seen a 2005 A4 1.8t wagon... very nice, 18", sport package goodies... 25000 kilometers and they are asking $40k Canadian.

How much does it cost to make these engines rip? It just seems that 40k is a lot for a slow car, so what are the top 5 mods and their cost - please help me out!

Reply to
Sharkman540i

Top 5 Mod's imo

  1. Chip
  2. Rec Valve
3.exhaust 4.Turbo 5.Air box

Combine all the above to see 300+ bhp and you will have a seriously fast A4.

Chip = anything from $300 - $1000 but this depends on if you replace the turbo, if you do make, sure you get a chip to match the new turbo, APR/REVO etc are a good start

Turbo - Don't bother with the TT/S3's KKK BW turbo, go for a big boy like a Garret GT28, sky's the limit with this baby, as long as you have the money :) $850 -$1400 depending on the power.

Currently you have a K03 in your Audi, the TT 225 bhp comes with a K04 which is slightly bigger, but not worth the upgrade cost, due to limited performance, but if you just want to see 250bhp then the K04 route is the simplest.

REC valve is cheap as hell, just replace it with a TT one, cost is around $30, or go for a bailey or similar.

Airbox - The main company here is Carbonio this will complement your new turbo and chip well.

Exhaust - the choice is yours here,. depends on sound, do you want loud or subtle? go for a custom made one if you can, in the UK we have companies like Longlife etc, or buy a ready made one, like Scorpion/Apexi/Borla. Miltek seem to be the tuners favourite, but expect to pay $500+

Don't forget to upgrade your clutch, all the extra power will soon wear it out.

Hope this has helped :)

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Good list, but I dunno about the intake. I have seen info that says these are way overrated. Especially the type that source their air from under the hood versus the stock system that uses cooler, outside air. I would think you'd be better off doing something custom that gets air from, say, the wheel well, versus the style that look nice and cost a lot of money but are competely under the hood.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Dan your thinking about K&N and the likes, Carbonio looks like this

Uses the same (best) method for air intake.

Reply to
Ronny

I stand corrected!

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

"Sharkman540i" wrote

It can get pretty expensive. Take the numbers that Ronny gave you, then figure throwing in a new clutch and possibly a new tranny. You might want to upgrade the suspension as well. It all adds up. Personally, I think I'd consider maybe a slightly older S4 Avant. This may prove to be a more reliable solution in the long run. Also, some people don't like the characteristic of turbo spool up and the delayed acceleration response it provides. By going with a larger turbo, this issue will just get amplified. Make sure you're OK with that.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Reply to
Sharkman540i

As long as you're okay with the ugly BMW exterior! At least you can't see that from inside, but the rest of us must put up looking at it!

BTW, Audi has a V6.....

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I'm liking the new BMW 3 series and the 5 series, I love the chunky look :)

Reply to
Ronny