Newbie question. A4 warning light.

I've just bought a '97 A4 1.8 auto, but it didn't come with a handbook, so I'm having lots of fun sorting out what everything does. I have most of the sound system working and finally figured out the rear fog lamp.
Yesterday my wife was driving and a warning light started flashing. It stopped when she turned off the engine, and hasn't reappeared. It is an orange warning light in right hand side of the tacho, and has an outline of a car. It seems to be highlighting the rear wheels.
1. Can anyone tell me what this light signifies? 2. Can anyone tell me where I could get a handbook for the car? (I'm in Melbourne, Australia) 3. Can anyone recommend a reliable place to get this car serviced in Melbourne?
Moike
its probably the immobiliser light , although the car shouldnt drive when it is on .