Newsgroup Etiquette

Can we pls keep on topic within a thread?

I'm up for reading about JP's EDL experiment and Suspension recalls but dont want that intertwined with newsgroup etiquette.

Meanwhile trying to find out what's wrong with top-posting...

Personally I remove all reply references by default so that only my message shows. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and set newsgroup to View Threads With Unread Only. That way I guess 90+% of server space is not duplication (if its stored that way...?), i can refer to the original thread and can flick through the replies without searching top or bottom or inbetween for the new bits.

That i find convenient, not sure if that's what some people are referring to as lazy.

If missing out the reply references is difficult for the way others read my posts I'll add them back in.

Reply to
charles blassberg

The troule with top-posting is that you read your message and then what you are replying to. It is much easier on the reader to first read the post your are replying to and then your added thoughts.

FWIW, it *is* considered poor netiquette to top post.

Dave

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Generally speaking you read the message that's being responded to in its original place in the thread, where it was originally posted to, rather than in whatever the respondent chooses to quote of it.

In this case, when reading a thead, the quote you are presented with is simply a quote of what you've only just read in the post above. Most users wouldn't have to read this again and instead are faced with having to scroll past it just to find the respondent's new comments. Do this for a number of iterations and it soon gets irritating.

Times have changed, they really have. It's only considered poor netiquette by those who don't like it. Everyone else just uses it and gets on with it.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

What he said.

Andy Turner wrote:

Reply to
Jules

I currently agree

Reply to
charles blassberg

Even better, how about not starting a *whole new thread* on the issue!

Sheesh, TWO new threads (neither of which are on the subject of Audi automobiles) for a meta-discussion.

What next - massive cross-posting? HTML? Binaries?

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

This is usenet, offtopic is part of the fun time, get used to it.

Top posting is an age old taboo, that was written by the elders

Nice, thats helpfull for others I am sure , remember people do search in Google groups for help in years to come.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird and set newsgroup to View

Ahhhh I get it now, you want to change usenet to suit your browsing style, and to support a browser that is used by less then 2% of people.

Lazy

Have you just posted your first post, to complain about other people posts? if so you are a troll. You know where the door is.....

Reply to
Ronny

And what's even more humorous is that the meta-discussion couldn't just reside in the original thread - no, perish the thought - it had to spawn TWO new threads, including this one! On-topic, LOL.

Let's all start posting in all-caps, HTML, with attached binaries. After all, any preference is valid, right?

:roll eyes:

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

You're being silly. I suppose you just want to escalate things so that it will eventually get to a spot where you start to be right.

I gave my audi a good spr> Let's all start posting in all-caps, HTML, with attached binaries.

Reply to
Jules

[top-post fixed to help with clarity]

Of course I am. If the logic holds for one, then it holds for all, no matter how silly.

Shhh! Don't tell anyone I told you, but I've been right *all along.*

Have a nice weekend.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

If you searched for this on google the above is for you :o)

Given that my Audi hasn't even arrived yet can I expect Audi owners to cut each other up on the road and score points against each other until one dies?

Oops wouldn't like to stray onto another topic in a thread as emotional as peoples driving habits.

Reply to
charles blassberg

Times have NOT changed. Noticed I clipped all of your message and mine simply to reply to what is relevent. Go to other newsgroups and you will find a majority of the people do NOT top post.

I agree with your estimation of quote after quote after quote. That too is impolite. Simply quote what you wish to talk about. Very simple. I bet you could do it without even trying. d;o)

Dave

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

emotional

I guess that maybe top-posting Audi drivers would hold the speed limit in the passing lane. Since only *they* matter, that's what you could expect. Or some other MFFY* driving habit. After all, differing styles must be accomadated.

E.P.

*Me First, Fsck You.
Reply to
gcmschemist

I must say I like that post - nice one.

I probably am a top poster / mffy at heart but don't care for holding the speed limit in that way.

And note I have changed from single posting to bottom posting as I was prepared to - thanks

Reply to
charles blassberg

Different styles of driving *are* accomodated, as are different modes of transport and indeed different models of car. Since you (presumably) drive an Audi, do you exect that everyone drives one since that is your preference? Do you think people that drive other models are wrong? Do you think motorbikes should be outlawed too?

Incidentally, it speaks volumes that you've bailed out of replying to any message of mine, yet you're still sniping and whining elsewhere.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

You mean like driving 5 under in a passing lane? Or those folks who swing wide for right turns, blocking two lanes? Folks who stop needlessly on on-ramps, because they can't figure out how to merge? Dream up some other legal, but discourteous traffic behavior that suits the scenario. There are probably thousands. But you get the point.

Unlike you, I support courtesy. You support "if it feels good, do it - to hell with the rest of you."

MFFY.

Have I ever said that?

Have I ever said that?

Have I ever said that?

It speaks volumes that you are running around a.a.a. humping my posts trying to goad me into a flamewar. Find another hobby.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

I appreciate posting styles that are first and foremost readable. And secondly logical.

It's also kind of you not to block the passing lane. When I drive long distances, I always appreciate courteous driving by folks, and I try and repay the favor by doing likewise.

Cheers!

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Why not just be an individualist and follow your own inclination, rather than what the net police tell you??

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Perhaps it is a throwback to the old days. When downloads took so long, the person forgot what was being said. So it was nice to have all laid out in order, when you got back from the bathroom or what ever. I really don't see it being easier to read bottom posting. But then I started reading both ways. In fact when I think about it, I like quoted references underneath, kinda like a footnote. Like everything else, primacy rules. Meaning what you learned the first time, is what you will stick to.

Anybody watch the Magnum reruns on tv? Poor Higgy-baby always stuck driving the Audi.....Steady on lads.

Reply to
Jules

Yeah - when your cell rings in a movie theater, go ahead and answer, then have a long, loud conversation. After all, whatever *you* want is the most important thing.

Or, like most of the rest of us learned before first grade, we could imagine that the world does not revolve around me, me, me.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist