Newsgroup Etiquette

Page 1 of 3
Can we pls keep on topic within a thread?
I'm up for reading about JP's EDL experiment and Suspension recalls but dont want that intertwined with newsgroup etiquette.
Meanwhile trying to find out what's wrong with top-posting...
Personally I remove all reply references by default so that only my message shows. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and set newsgroup to View Threads With Unread Only. That way I guess 90+% of server space is not duplication (if its stored that way...?), i can refer to the original thread and can flick through the replies without searching top or bottom or inbetween for the new bits.
That i find convenient, not sure if that's what some people are referring to as lazy.
If missing out the reply references is difficult for the way others read my posts I'll add them back in.
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:29:02 +0100, charles blassberg
The troule with top-posting is that you read your message and then what you are replying to. It is much easier on the reader to first read the post your are replying to and then your added thoughts.
FWIW, it *is* considered poor netiquette to top post.
Dave
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:58:00 -0400, Dave LaCourse

Generally speaking you read the message that's being responded to in its original place in the thread, where it was originally posted to, rather than in whatever the respondent chooses to quote of it.

In this case, when reading a thead, the quote you are presented with is simply a quote of what you've only just read in the post above. Most users wouldn't have to read this again and instead are faced with having to scroll past it just to find the respondent's new comments. Do this for a number of iterations and it soon gets irritating.

Times have changed, they really have. It's only considered poor netiquette by those who don't like it. Everyone else just uses it and gets on with it.
andyt
What he said.
Andy Turner wrote:

I currently agree
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:34:20 +0000 (UTC), Andy Turner

Times have NOT changed. Noticed I clipped all of your message and mine simply to reply to what is relevent. Go to other newsgroups and you will find a majority of the people do NOT top post.
I agree with your estimation of quote after quote after quote. That too is impolite. Simply quote what you wish to talk about. Very simple. I bet you could do it without even trying. d;o)
Dave
Once upon a time *Dave LaCourse* wrote:

Little guideness (also in my sig): http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
--
/Arne

These are only someone's opinions put down in HTML. Bear this in mind.
andyt
Once upon a time *Andy Turner* wrote:

Supported by a large majority of posters in the groups I participate in.
--
/Arne

Majority preference doesn't make minority preferences invalid or incorrect - and it would be ludicrous to think that majority preferences should be stamped out just because they are a minority.
Think about how that would translate to real life - it would seem ridiculous would it not?
andyt

Really? Is that why it quotes guidelines from Microsoft and from RFC1855?

(a) What jursdiction do Microsoft have here? None. (b) IIRC RFC1855 makes a pasing reference to posting styles and merely makes a little suggestion rather than try and enforce any rules. (c) And of course RFC1855 was written decades ago and merely represents the opinions of those around at the time.
andyt

No, I quite agree. I was replying to your assertion that the guidelines given on the web page were one person's opinions. I clearly proved that this is untrue!

However, the RFC system has a well proven history of updates by revision and superseding documents when changes are required - is RFC1855 superseded?

Peter Bell wrote:

Has it been recently reviewed. Like on many roadways, if everybody is speeding, and there was not some engineering study reviewing the speed limit, the posted speed limit becomes unenforcable.
Current trends, set standards.
Jules wrote:

revision
speed
You're talking apples and oranges. Traffic engineering is a science. Personal interaction is about as far from science as human endeavors get. While you may wish to impose some newfangled etiquette on all others, it won't work, because people are generally comfortable with the old etiquette.
In addition, since top-posting is done purposefully only by a few in comparison to those who don't know any better, it will always be in the small minority.
E.P.

OK, so perhaps it's a few people's opinions collated! The point still remains! I'd expect the page to be written by a single person anyway - even if he quotes sources that have the same opinion (which of course, he *would* do wouldn't he!).

The section that I thinking of hasn't changed in a long time AFAIK. I honestly don't think anyone would bother to revise it, regardless of the changes in usage we have seen over the years.
andyt

And I noticed you posted properly. Thanks. Wasn't hard, was it?
Dave
Dave LaCourse wrote:

Actually, Arne agrees with us. It's Jules and Andy that seem to have comprehension problems.
E.P.
On 10 Apr 2005 19:14:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hmm.. how rather ironic that someone got confused about who-said-what in an interleaved posted thread....

We have no comprehension problems whatsoever since we can both deal with more than one style of post without it baffling us. You on the other hand have so much difficulty comprehending it that you whine about it and try to stop people doing it.
Top-posting. It's not rocket science.
andyt
charles blassberg wrote:

Even better, how about not starting a *whole new thread* on the issue!
Sheesh, TWO new threads (neither of which are on the subject of Audi automobiles) for a meta-discussion.
What next - massive cross-posting? HTML? Binaries?
E.P.