Newsgroup Etiquette

Page 2 of 3

This is usenet, offtopic is part of the fun time, get used to it.

Top posting is an age old taboo, that was written by the elders

Nice, thats helpfull for others I am sure <not>, remember people do search in Google groups for help in years to come.
I use Mozilla Thunderbird and set newsgroup to View

Ahhhh I get it now, you want to change usenet to suit your browsing style, and to support a browser that is used by less then 2% of people.

Lazy
Have you just posted your first post, to complain about other people posts? if so you are a troll. You know where the door is.....
Ronny wrote:

And what's even more humorous is that the meta-discussion couldn't just reside in the original thread - no, perish the thought - it had to spawn TWO new threads, including this one! On-topic, LOL.
Let's all start posting in all-caps, HTML, with attached binaries. After all, any preference is valid, right?
:roll eyes:
E.P.
You're being silly. I suppose you just want to escalate things so that it will eventually get to a spot where you start to be right.
I gave my audi a good spring cleaning. It seems like a new car now. First time I ever cleaned it out so well. It's aging well also. I will mention last summer some paint on the hood was bubbling up from rust. I showed the dealership and bang, new hood came from Europe and was painted up to match. No quibbling at all. The area was just the size of a thumbprint. So I will keep buying Audi!!! I'll attach a jpeg. Just kidding.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Jules wrote:

[top-post fixed to help with clarity]

Of course I am. If the logic holds for one, then it holds for all, no matter how silly.

Shhh! Don't tell anyone I told you, but I've been right *all along.*
Have a nice weekend.
E.P.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Given that my Audi hasn't even arrived yet can I expect Audi owners to cut each other up on the road and score points against each other until one dies?
Oops wouldn't like to stray onto another topic in a thread as emotional as peoples driving habits.
charles blassberg wrote:

I guess that maybe top-posting Audi drivers would hold the speed limit in the passing lane. Since only *they* matter, that's what you could expect. Or some other MFFY* driving habit. After all, differing styles must be accomadated.
E.P.
*Me First, Fsck You.

I must say I like that post - nice one.
I probably am a top poster / mffy at heart but don't care for holding the speed limit in that way.
And note I have changed from single posting to bottom posting as I was prepared to - thanks
charles blassberg wrote:

I appreciate posting styles that are first and foremost readable. And secondly logical.
It's also kind of you not to block the passing lane. When I drive long distances, I always appreciate courteous driving by folks, and I try and repay the favor by doing likewise.
Cheers!
E.P.
Why not just be an individualist and follow your own inclination, rather than what the net police tell you??
Mike.

Mike Buckley wrote:

Yeah - when your cell rings in a movie theater, go ahead and answer, then have a long, loud conversation. After all, whatever *you* want is the most important thing.
Or, like most of the rest of us learned before first grade, we could imagine that the world does not revolve around me, me, me.
E.P.
EP
This is different, than your escalated situations.
I hope you find a newsgrope that still posts to your liking. Perhaps join in one of those societies that does historic recreations. Or society for creative anachronisms?
Etiquette is making someone feel comfortable, but it does have standards. Not pushing standards on people. When does society standards change? They do as time goes by. As do the spelling of words. Such is a philosphical discussion. We do live in interesting times as we get to be witness to changes. Although this topic is idiotic.
Try and get some joy out of life.
Last night Higgy got to drive the red car, but like usual, it makes him a target of some bad guy. He will go back to driving the Audi and leave the red car to Magnum. Before when he drove the red car, the brakes failed on him. Oh that Higgy-baby.
Top post, bottom post, there seems to be a logic in having the most recent comment at the top.
React how you want. But I wouldn't do what you do.
Peace.
Jules wrote:

Only as a matter of degree, not type. Some folks have preferences for chewing with their mouth open, or passing gas in public. If anything is acceptable, everything is acceptable.

Actually, most posts in most newsgroups are still posted correctly. Top-posters are yet a small minority.

Wrong. Folks who are deliberately rude often find themselves on the outside looking in. Post OT, all in caps, binaries, etc, and you find yourself killfiled or your account TOS-terminated in short order.

Amusingly ironic.

The very same logic that says things should be read from bottom to top. Newsgroups aren't threaded from newest to oldest, at least not in any newsreader I've seen. Even so, most newsreaders will display posts with the newest content, then thread them by first to last post. Top-down.

Post correctly? Of course not. After all, whatever *you* want is the only important thing.
E.P.
Then get a life.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Jules wrote:

Classic usenet irony.
E.P.
On 9 Apr 2005 20:50:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As Jules points out, these are not comparable situations. Remember that top-posting is perfectly acceptable to and is the preferred style for a great many people. That's what makes it a preference. If you want to find a *correct* analogy rather than the crap you've been coming out with (which has only served to show you don't understand the situation), then you'll have to find one where many people prefer the alternative - which is not the case in your above analogy.

Indeed it doesn't and therefore you can't expect everyone to adopt *your* preferences.
andyt
Andy Turner wrote:

Jules is wrong, and so are you. The situations are only a matter of degree.
There are plenty of rude cell phone behaviors, this one is just one most folks can agree on. But it's merely a preference, and the small minority prefers it, so by your logic, it's acceptable.

Those who don't know any better, those who are purposefully rude, or those who read everything from the last page to the first page - yup, that's true.

See the cell phone references above. Dream up some driving ones. Like this:
You're left turning out of a business onto a five-lane street. (Two lanes in either direction and a turn lane.) The car in front of you is also turning left. You wait and wait and wait - the turn lane is clear, the traffic from the right is clear, and the other guy isn't going. Yup, that's right, when he finally goes, it's because traffic is clear in both directions. He's held you up because of his preference. You, of course, celebrate his preference, right?

Oh, but if it were just *my* preference, I wouldn't be having this conversation with you. But it isn't. The netiquette has existed for quite some time before either one of us entered usenet. As I said before, if you can find anywhere even remotely official-looking that supports top-posting as a preferred method, go ahead and link it. History *and* popular opinion stand against you.
E.P.
You're not married are you?
Jules wrote:

Sadly, we proper-posters are often happily married, with children. Women seem curiously drawn to a man with etiquette. Makes the "bad boy" thing tough to carry off, and thus ruins one's prospects for playing the field for decades or causes one to live a lonely, boring life defending poor behavior in usenet.
Get a life, Jules.
E.P.
I note you used the word "often". Well you're honest. For the record, I'm sorry I brought it up. Reference below.
Peace.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Jules wrote:

It was a global qualifier, not a personal one.
E.P.