no difference in lighting on my A4 1997.

hi there. i have always noticed that in my 1997 a4 1,8tq, when using my daytime runners (in Canada) or using the full headlights, there is zero change in lighting in the headlights. there is no bulb actually even switching on when the headlights are on as compared to the daytime runners. if i switch to highbeams, the lights do get brighter - but it really only seems like the same bulbs are growing brighter - not a separate bulb turning on.

it wasnt a problem before, but now im going to be buying a xenon kit upgrade . obviously i need a separate set of leads to power the xenons and cant be driving around all day with xenons going full blast. if someone knows why my audi headlight wiring is so messed up please fill me in. im pretty sure it isnt the bulbs since both sides have the same problem. could it be a fuse i need to change positions for or something?

What's wrong with the xenons? In Europe we drive al day with them switched on. Law in Italy and strongly advised in Holland and more countries.

Ronald (NL and I)

Reply to
reply

That sounds perfectly possible - is there any reason why dipped beam headlights shouldn't also serve as DRLs?

Depending on what type of bulbs your headlamps take, it is quite possibly a dual filament bulb. When you switch to main beam, an alternate, slightly more powerful, filament is turned on.

Why not? Xenons run at a lower power than normal filament headlamps.

I would be surprised if there is anything wrong.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Reply to
David

Pre-99.5 A4s use low beams as DRLs in Canada, so you wouldn't see a difference when you switch on your headlights, because they're on all the time. Newer model A4's (1999.5 and newer) use the lower front foglights as DRLs. On other cars, they use the high beams at a reduced power for DRLs, so when you flash your high beams, it gets brighter.

There is a simple way to disable your headlights and just having your parking lights as DRLs if you don't want to run your Xenons all day. Check out

Mark1.8T

mark, that was the info i needed - thanx. cus i dont like the idea of running my xenons and halogens at the same time. not only does it look ugly, its pointless.