no free service on 2007 A4?

Page 1 of 2
I went to the local delaer yesterday and a salesman who seems pretty knowledgeable said that the 2007 A4's (or maybe all audi's) will come with the 4yr/50000 mile service warranty but the scheduled maintenance
will not be free. Rather you have to purchase the extended coverage for $575. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yes, Audi decided to drop the free maintenance on all models.
Pete
On 12 Mar 2006 05:05:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

As Pete said, it is true. However, $575 seems pretty reasonable if that covers all the services previously offered for free.
thanks pete and curtis, so what exactly does the 4/50,000 cover? is that a powertrain warranty? i would assume that if scheduled maintenance isnt free then unschduled maintenance also wouldnt fal under warranty coverage.

Scheduled maintenance and warranty are two different animals. The 4/50,000 warranty is bumper-to-bumper. There is really no such thing as unscheduled maintenance. If it's unscheduled, it's not maintenance - it's repair and should be covered by the warranty.
Unless you want to call more frequent oil changes an "unscheduled maintenance". In that case, you pay for it yourself. For example, my 2001 A4 had oil changes done every 10K miles as part of the free 4/50,000 scheduled maintenance. Since I'm an anal retentive, I chose to have it changed every 5K miles - so, those changes in-between were "unscheduled" and not free, and certainly did not fall under warranty coverage either.
The list of things covered under the scheduled maintenance should be in your owner's manual. Such lists are also posted on www.bentleypublishers.com, but they don't have one for 2007 model year yet. What is included in that $575 contract that you mentioned - I have no idea, but if you're paying for it, the dealer should give you in writing what it covers, how often, etc.
Good luck,
Pete
"Pete" wrote

Except wear-and-tear items such as brakes or tires, of course. :)
Pete
thanks for clearing that up pete

Just FYI, brakes were covered on the free maintenance plan on my 2001 Audi A4, which I purchased new.
The dealer said if the pads are worn down to the wear indicator before the warranty was up, they would replace under the maintenance plan. They replaced my windshield wipers, topped off fluids for free and did a 10K maintenance for free up to 50K miles. The 40K service was free and it was normally kind of pricey.
I would do my oil change every other 5K.
From my experience, about the only item it didn't cover was tires.
"Curtis Newton" wrote

You're right... now that you mention it, I do remember people getting new brakes under the free maintenance plan. My bad.
Pete
Is that $575 per year or is that for 4 years?
Curtis Newton wrote:

"Ralph A. Barbagallo III" <""r a l p h \"@ n o p r o c e s s e d m e a t f l a r b . c o m"> wrote in message wrote:

Per month perhaps? It's an Audi not a Ferrari.
In this thread many owners change oil to much and that is not enviremental

Audi changed their oil change intervals to 30K Kms some 15 years ago so those people do it 4 times as much. Synthetic oil keeps it's qualities for far more than 30K Kms.
Ron

Sure... except that Audi in the US was using low grade mineral oil at 10K mile intervals which led to numerous engine sludge issues, mainly on the 1.8T models. They finally switched to synthetic on the most recent model years, but now it is no longer "free" under the standard maintenance.
Pete
Pete, my last oil change at the dealer under the Audi Advantage program was done with Castrol Syntec..... I have been using Mobil1 0w-40 (and yes, Ron, I do change it every 5k miles) but forgot to pick up the last time....
If it's $575 for the 4-year period, I'd say that could be a decent deal, but only if you need the brakes done. Otherwise, we're talking basically oil/filter changes and wiper blades. And it's probably only the oil changes specified by the mfg recommendation, i.e., 5k miles, then every 10k until 35k. So it's not like you could take it in every 3k miles (sorry, Ron ;-) and have them change it for free. Oh, you may get one alignment as part of that too.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
"Dano58" wrote

I think the standard maintenance also calls for spark plug replacement at 35-40K miles. Or did they change that recently?
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/audi.2004.maintenance.sched.pdf
Cheers,
Pete
I was quoted the exorbitant price of $850 for the 40K service on an '03 A4 1.8T. So that $575 seems good if you can trust Audi. Why would I have to pay for that with a 4yr/50000 mile warranty? Because Audi (AoA) has blamed the previous owner for a sludge problem. Even saying that's true and it wasn't their fault for having 10K mile oil changes on mineral oil in a turbo, they are calling the car neglected and will not pay for anything sludge related or not. This though they continued to cover repairs for 16k miles after the problem arose and only refused when I called them on the sludge issue.
--Art

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:45:21 -0500, "Art M"

Ooomph.. That's a lot.

Am I getting this right? You bought a used car which had been poorly maintained by the previous owner and you want them to cover that up?
Regards
Wolfgang

I don't understand your question (cover that up???). I want them to continue to honor the warranty. Many of the cars had sludge problems while perfectly maintained under the Audi service plan due to their poor specs (dino oil, small filter, 10000+ mile intervals...) The previous owner my car was late enough on one oil change (the 2nd one) that they had an excuse not to cover the sludge repairs under warranty. However at that time they changed his oil pump and continued service under warranty for another 14,000 miles.
Previous owner then sold it to me. He had asked the service manager at the dealer if there was anything wrong with the car that I should know about. The mgr said no and that if anything should arise it would be covered under warranty. After about 1000 miles I took it in for oil pressure problems. They did some work under warranty. Another 1000 miles. I take it back in. Diagnosis SLUDGE. Not covered.
NOW the point that really burns me up is that AoA will no longer honor the warranty at all. If the radio fails they won't fix it because the guy was late on one oil change. TELL ME HOW THAT IS RIGHT.
--Art
Art, It's not right....but they're banking on you getting so PO'd with the whole thing that you'll go to a different car make. They figure that it would be unlikely that you'd get a lawyer to fight over a broken radio with them. Prove 'em wrong. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
snip.......8<

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:53:14 -0500, "Art M"

That sounds somewhat different to what I understood. So no: I didn't get it right.
AoA really specifies dino oil? Strange.

It's not. You are right.
Regards
Wolfgang