Nokia car kit for Audi A4

I've just got a second hand CARK126 car kit as well as holder and external antenna, but no install instructions. I'd like to try installing it myself or should I take it to an installer - they want about $AUS200.....?

Anybody any tips on the wiring and where to place it?

Reply to
Bear

It should be available from Nokia.

Reply to
JPB357

Easy. At your own risk of course, follow these:

Red Cable (with 2amp fuse) to + voltage on veh's power supply. The battery is a good source! Black cable to the negative/ground connection. Battery again, or a handy earth.

That'll get it operational with constant power to the cradle. IF you want the goodies, like the cradle only being powered when the ignition is on, radio muting or an auto car-phone antenna, do these as well:

Blue cable (with 1 amp fuse) to a +12v voltage source controlled by the vehicle ignition key. Yellow cable - used for automatic car radio muting (XCRM) and is connected to car radio. No idea where on the radio tho! Green cable (with 1amp fuse) - 12 v output whenever the phone is "on" - used to trigger a relay for a motorised antenna for the phone, if you use one. The instructions specifically say to use a relay.

As to placement - I fitted mine (into an old 80) by removing the passenger dash pocket and attaching the control box to the heater duct. There should be a bracket with the box that allows you to position the box somewhere with a screw, but I just used cable-ties for speed.

Fit mic on the drivers A pillar (sticky velcro is good) and lead the cable across the vehicle under the dash. Fiddly, but straightforward as long as you are double jointed and don't mind grovelling under the dash. Protect the cable as appropriate. Mic is also good on by the centre mirror, but more hassle to lead the cable.

Cradle on the centre consol or dash as you prefer.

Of course, with a modern car you'll have an airbag in the left side which might restrict access to the under dash area. But if you want to risk fiddling with explosive devices which could kill you, that's your decision. Is your life worth 200 bucks?? Your choice.

Finally - you'll need an antenna - the manual warns about all that microwave energy bouncing around inside the car and suggests it could interfere with vehicle electrical systems as well as your health. I used a dual band self-adhesive antenna that mounts on the w/screen and took the cable down behind the dash from there to the box. The phone will work without a vehicle antenna. Again, your choice.

Anyway, best of luck, its relatively easy, notwithstanding the caveat above - these instructions straight from a HF CARK-91 install guide and iirc there might be similar on the web somewhere - Google will find it.

All the plugs / fittings etc are self-explanatory in that they will only fit the relevant sockets on the box anyway.

Have fun but stay safe! Mike.

(I'm NOT an expert in these things, just a reasonably competent amateur mechanic, so you follow this at your own risk!! Don't blame me if it all goes wrong.)

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Thanks for the pointers......

Reply to
Bear

In the book it mentions fitting a phone into the 'flip up' armrest between the front seats. Does this mean there is some wiring in there and how would I get to it?

Reply to
Bear

Certainly I've seen quite a few such installations - dont like em personally, given the difficulty in using the phone with it placed there. I have no idea whether there is any pre-installed wiring - doubt it, although certainly newer cars are finally starting to be delivered with wiring in place.

Ask your dealer?

As to getting to it - you'll probably need to do some trim removal. If thats a challenge, I think you might really need to use the experts.

Best of luck - Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley