Oil and Leaks

Can someone tell me what oil might have been factory delivered with my '99 A6, and what the dealer would be using during regular changes?

I've posted here before concerning taking my car to an independent.

Granted, its 8 years old, but...

Up until 8 months ago, its only had dealer oil changes.

8 months ago, it went to the independent, and, among other things, had an oil change. No leaks or anything reported. They used Mobil 1.

Now, after running for 8 months, I brought it in for another oil change. This time they told me that the belly pan had lots of oil on it anf that I had leaks from the cam shaft seals. Stopping the leaks could be done for just under $1000 they thought, by replacing valve cover gaskets, cam shaft seals, ... . Its in the shop now, and I've opted to not go for the $1000 at this point.

Any thoughts? I guess additives are out of the question - will Mobil1 high mileage help?

Thanks... ...Mike

thanks...

Reply to
. . . /\/\ i k e

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:57:26 -0400, against all advice, something compelled ". . . /\\/\\ i k e" , to say:

Could you get your timing belt and water pump replaced at the same time?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Well . . .

I actually had the timing belt, etc done at 75K by the dealer ( that 25K miles ago).

Thanks...

...Mike

Reply to
. . . /\/\ i k e

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:14:48 -0400, against all advice, something compelled ". . . /\\/\\ i k e" , to say:

Oh well. It was a thought.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Well, it doesn't really cost you anything to try. I've been using 10W-30 Valvoline Maxlife synthetic for engines over 75000 miles in my '98 A4 2.8q and it appears to have reduced my oil consumption from 1200/qt to 2000/qt. If your leaks are fairly recent developments, I'd try the high mileage oil and see what happens. These oil leaks are more nuisance than anything but be sure to check your oil level every thousand miles or so to prevent it from getting too low.

Reply to
iws

Hey Mike

Sounds like the synthetic has cleaned all the crud deposited by the non syn oil which has until now been covering leaks. This is typical when you change from normal to syn oil after a wperiod such as 8 years - ignorant people will tell you the oil is causing the leaks however it is actually cleaning your engine from the gunk that was "plugging the holes". Would suggest you replace those seals and keep using the synthetic oil and it shouldn't leak again. Your engine will also now last a lot longer, run cooler, and you may be able to extend the changes using the syn oil. I have a Volvo, 10 years old (with HP turbo)and have used synthetic oil since 10,000k. My mechanic tells me there is minimal wear and is incredibly clean. There are no leaks as the seals have "adjusted". I change my oil every 15k or 12 months, whichever is first

Good luck

Reply to
John Smith

Nothing but repairing the leaks will help at this point.

Reply to
Madesio

Were you using Mobil1 synthetic oil? I had the exact problem. Up until summer of 2005 the orginal owners had my 98 a6 serviced at the audi dealer. When I got the car (summer or 2006) I had my first oil change done at a chrysler dealer with mobil1 synpower oil and a mobil1 air filter. At the beginning of the year I noticed a burning smell and took the car into a VW dealer. I had the cam seals replaced for $1200 (what a rip off). The car to this day smells like its burning after driving it for a little bit, and I have taken it back to the VW dealer and they said it is not burning, nor does it smell like it is. And now about a month ago my oil pressure light came on after 4,000 miles between an oil change. The recommended is

5,000 miles in between. I believe this car is a money pit. I will be getting rid of it as soon as I can afford a new vehicle. It is now in the shop with a torn cv boot and broken window regulator.

-- Message posted using

information at

90kchevycamaro