Oil Change intervals

Hi,
Can someone explain why our American cousins change the engine oil between 2000 and 5000 miles?
I've a 2002 A6 1.9 TDI and I've changed it as the computer has called for a
service - between 18K & 20K.
If I did it every 2000miles - it would be a monthly event!
I used to change the oil in my 1967 Beetle every 3000 (I think!) miles - but then I used the recommended non-detergent oil - and it was cheap!
Mark
"Mark" wrote

Marketing mainly. The likes of Jiffy Lube want you to change your oil often so that they can make more money providing the service. Oil companies don't object either - more oil purchased = more profits.

Yes, but you probably buy high quality expensive synthetic oil. Those people who change their oil every 3K miles in the US usually buy mineral oil that costs $1.50 per quart (liter). For $20-25 you can get a whole oil change, including oil, filter, and labor.
Cheers,
Pete