Oil Consumption

I have nearly 5000 miles on my A4 now and it is still appears to be using oil at a rate of around 1 quart per 2500 miles. Audi consider this normal however I have never before owned a car with such a thirst for oil and am
struggling to come to terms with it.
I have read many articles about how to best run in an engine to achieve the best piston ring sealing. In my case, I have more or less followed what it says in the book and certainly have not 'babied' the car. My daily journeys are urban with a good mix of driving conditions.
I'm interested to hear from anyone whom has has a similar experience - does the oil usage eventually stop? Incedentally my car has the Castrol SLX longlife oil in from new - maybe why it seems to be taking it's time bedding in.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Re: Oil Consumption
1 2003 08:38 pm
> I have nearly 5000 miles on my A4 now and it is still appears to be using > oil at a rate of around 1 quart per 2500 miles. Audi consider this normal > however I have never before owned a car with such a thirst for oil and am > struggling to come to terms with it.
Well i have been working on Audi/vw since 1980 and have owned many over the years. 1 qt per 2500 miles is very good oil consumption for that mileage. It will probably improve...if you don't worry about it and drive it hard like it was built to be driven. :)
Have a Great day!
kcvwdoc
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
That's very encouraging - mine is also a 2.4. I think i'll just get on with driving it eh!
Thanks to anyone else whom replied to my post.

using
normal
am