oil consumption in new 2007 A4 2.0T Quatro

I say 1 quart in 1500 miles in new machine is a bit much. Dealer says no.

I have 92 Lincoln Mark with 130,000 miles that uses 1/2 quart between service.3-4K miles A 2202 Ford Sport Trac with 110,000 miles that uses even less. And a 1 Ton van worked like a dog that only uses a quart between changes at 5,000 miles.

My brand new Audi with superior German engineering drinks the stuff comparably.

Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?

Regards,

MrShade aka Roscoe

Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it the more people assume you have.

Reply to
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

I put 12,000 miles on my 2007 2.0TQ and never had any issue. Granted, I never really checked my oil myself but I for sure never had any issues with being low on oil.

Presumably if something is out of whack with your turbo, you'd burn more oil.

Reply to
Matt

Dealer is right. It's possible your consumption could improve after 10000 miles but probably not much. There has always been considerable variability in Audi oil consumption but I doubt you'd ever see the low consumption you see in your other cars. Of course, if and when your "external lubrication system" kicks in, you'll consume even more!

Reply to
iws

normal for a new Audi.............while things bed in.

mine did when new and now does not.

dj

70k A4 2.4 SE
Reply to
Fergus

Audi A6 3.2 FSI 37K miles 2005 on variable service.

Mine had a service last week at Audi Poole in the UK and did pose this question.

I was told that due to the extended length between services for the new engines the oil type goes through the engine quicker. So more spend on oil but lower servicing costs - I guess.

Mickx

Reply to
Mick x

My 2007 A3 3.2 didn't use any noticeable amount of oil before its free

5K change. I don't have a turbo, though. 1 quart per 1500 miles sounds like an engine defect to me. Not only could accidentally run out of oil, but there's going to be a lot of ash running through your exhaust system. Hopefully you live in one of those areas where the warranty is very long on emissions equipment.
Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

I didn't have to check it, an OIL CAN lookng graphic appeared on my display.

I called the dealer just today as they made no mention of my concern on my service invoice even though we talked at length about it.

Service advisor told me Audi says that is OK and his hands are tied.

I have a NEW car that I am hauling a quart of oil around in the trunk in case the darn thing pops up again.

Very sad. Other than that I like the car very much.

Black sooty tailpipes I do not like, nor do like the power that is passing by the compression rings along with the oil.

I have to wonder whether 00-40W oil has anything to do with it. Dealer said anything else voids warranty.

Sigh.............

Roscoe aka MrShade

Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it the more people assume you have.

Reply to
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

Take a look at the manual. I don't know what the one for a new car like yours says, but mine ('02 3.0 litre A4) includes a specific warning to the effect that these cars can use a lot. Mine's not too bad at about 0.5 litre/3000 miles, but my brother-in-law has a similar car (an '02 2.8 litre Passat, which is mechanically the same as an A4), and his uses a good deal more.

These cars are known to get through a lot of oil.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

I've owned an 86 Quantum (Audi running gear), 1990 Audi 200T, 1994 S4,

2000 A6 4.2, and now a 2003 RS6. None of these automobiles burned oil. Any engine is going to use oil to some degree. However, of all the Audis I have owned, I seldom had to add oil between changes. And, yes, some are still "alive". The 1990 is fine and living in NH, the S4 was totalled by my grandson with 130K on it, the A6 4.2 is being driven by my son-in-law and now has 100+k on it and still doesn't use much oil. My other grandson has a 2000 S4 (chipped) and he says he doesn't use much oil either. So.....

Dave

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

"Roscoe P Pendoscoe" wrote

Dealer is BS'ing you. I'm sure there are specific oil requirements listed in your owner's manual, such as that the oil has to meet the VW

502.00 or 503.01 spec, but there are other oils, not just 0w-40 that meet these specs. That said, I don't think that using 0w-40 per se is responsible for your oil consumption.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Well,

First, thanks for all the replies and info from everyone.

I again talked with my dealer and raised the bar a little by saying I was in the process of contacting the regional Audi office to voice my complaints and I'll keep banging on their ears until I got some form of satisfaction.

There is no way I am adding oil to a new car between oil changes. That's a fact.

This time I was told I could use other oil as long as it did meet the VW 502 spec someone else had mentioned but most likely would not improve the consumtion issue. That, I believe.

I also was told it would improve as the rings seated and "broke in".

What crap. I stopped building and racing Super/Comp and Super/Gas cars about 10 years ago with some having 13..5:1 compression 900 HP and no long break-in periods on those type of motors to seat oil and compression rings. After some seasons with 100+ full out passes, they still didn't use any discernable oil unless a catastrophic failure occurred.

Enough said,

Roscoe aka MrShade

Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it the more people assume you have.

Reply to
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

I don't know how many miles on the clock; if you have less than 5K, then I suspect it will improve in the next 3K miles. If it doesn't, I would try

5-30 or 5-40 Mobil. I really think most of the loss happens when the engine is still cold and the oil is near the 0 side of viscosity. Hang in there, this may end up O.K.

Reply to
Tony

FWIW, I have a 2002 A4 with the 3.0 V6. Now at 95,000 miles; oil changed every 5,000 miles. I have never had to add oil between changes, not even when it was new. Prior to that, I had a 1995 Passat with the VR6 engine. I had 135,000 miles on that when I sold it, and never once had to add oil to that either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Thompson

I also have a 2002 A4 with the 3.0 V6. My experience is a long way from yours: I carry a bottle of oil around with me, and expect to see the warning light two or three times between services. (The dipstick is so difficult to read as to be useless.) And, as I've already mentioned, my brother-in-law's experience is worse. Clearly, there's no consistency here. For no obvious reason, some of these cars use a lot of oil, whilst others don't.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

It's not unreasonable to have to add some oil to a new engine as things loosen up and bed in though.

Quite. There will be no honing pattern left on the cylinder walls. Indeed, they'll probably be glazed now so I don't see how the rings can dramatically improve (if that's where the oil is coming from).

There's a school of thought that says that the best way to run in piston rings is to drive the engine hard for the first 20 miles of its life. This loads up the rings, pushes them properly out into contact with the honing pattern on the cylinder walls and wears both into a nice tightly matched pair before the honing pattern is worn off and the cylinder walls become glazed. The theory is supposedly proven on the racetrack where chronic bad oil consumption is rare and gentle running in is rarer!

Other than a specific fault, engines that burn large amounts of oil tend to have been built with poor tolerances - this is not unheard of with European engines. The usual ways for an end user to damage an engine are the simple traditional ones of overheating them, running low on oil or not changing the oil or using completely the wrong fuel.

However, it's not uncommon to find that a new engine that uses huge amounts of oil is also run low (to the point of slight damage) by an unsuspecting user. From that point on, oil consumption is often high.

Reply to
Zathras

Hi Roscoe

When I bought my new A4 2.0 TDI with PD-engine, the dealer said I'll have to add +/- 3/4 l off oil when the odo meter reach about 10 000 km and again about 20 000 km. And indeed. On 9 800 km and 18 000 km I saw the green oilcan pictogram popping up on my display.

After a refresh of oil (About 28 000 km) the dealer said oliconsumption will now lower and *maybe* I have to add 3/4 l oil after 15 000 km drive. Indeed, again dealer has right! After +/- 16 000 km I had to add +/- 1/2 l of oil. (Did not waited until oilcan popped up. Just checking oil level and have added a bit.) Now, the engine has had his second oilchange and dealer said oilconsumption should be normal now i.g. maybe you have to add 3/4 l oil after 20 000 km.

I'm using 0W30 longlive oil.

Reply to
H.D.

Hi Peter

I've talked about that whith the dealer when I've bought my new A4. I also read many issues about oilconsumption. He said it's *most of the time* due to a bad brake in periode or due to some people who has changes DIY *much to early* the oil or drive their car to "soft" when braking it in. I.g. they have never used the real power. ;-)

Reply to
H.D.

Drive it reasonably hard otherwise the bores will glaze. This is an issue with every brand of quality engine which have very hard bore finish and very hard piston rings. These engines should be run-in under load and the first oil should not be changed sooner than 5000 miles.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Then don't and face the consequences ;-)

They were driven hard. Is your Audi driven hard?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Your dealer is 100% correct. After warming the engine reasonably gently these engines need to be driven under load to bed in. They do not appreciate some engine do-gooder changing the oil at 1000 miles either. A glazed engine will never perform or last as long as an engine that has a proper start in life. If it uses oil at 15,000 miles then it will likely continue to be a lazy drinkaholic until it is scrapped.

Huw

Reply to
Huw