oil consumption in new 2007 A4 2.0T Quatro

Apart from very high performance engines built slack, like the BMW 'M' series, European engines are built to very fine tolerances out of very high quality metal. This is the reason they need to be run-in under load and the fine consistent finish to all parts is partly why most VW petrol engines can have to 20,000 mile oil change intervals while some of the diesels are good for up to 30,000 mile oil changes.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Again, thanks for the replies and advice from all.

An update but first I have to say I would guess only when my Wife got her hands on the A4 did it get "overly gentle" treatment and that was seldom as she like her SUV as she's a short lil' squirt and likes to sit up high to see the road.

Anyway, the A4 used a quart at 1800 miles. I added another 3/4 quart at about 3400 to bring it to full not waitng for the light this time. During the break-in I varied the speed I drove it and didn't redline it but consistantly brought it up to 5k on the tach before shifting and also let lower gears slow it down as the dealer and tech had advised.

I did not do a home oil change and waited for the first dealer recommended one at 5000.

It has 7300 now and I did drive it more agressively after the oil change by the dealer and they told me when it hit 8K it would also perform better. We will see about that claim.

The good part is that the oil consumption has vastly improved and has used about 1/2 quart since dealer service 2400 miles ago. I am going to look tomorrow after sitting overnight and I will post that here as I have not checked for a week and drove it pretty hard last weekend.

Here is hoping it is in same place on the stick (or very close) as a week ago.

Thanks again,

RP

Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it the more people assume you have.

Reply to
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

It has vastly improved and yes I did drive fairly hard but no redline shifts. 5K on the tach or a little more as that is what tech at dealer told me was a safe point. I asked the salesman to point me at a tech that was really bright and had some good knowledge he'd part with beforehand.

I do understand the hard bore and ring issue but little can on dash at such low miles is something to make you nervous. And of course I would add oil when needed albeit not happily if it kept up at it's original thirsty rate.

7400 miles now and is getting much better than before.

Regards,

RP

Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it the more people assume you have.

Reply to
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

In message , Roscoe P Pendoscoe writes

Thanks for the feedback. So many times I've read complaints about a car, particularly when it's a new one, only to be followed by deafening silence after someone has pitched in with reasoned advice.

It's nice to hear the outcome, especially when it's good news. :)

Reply to
Dave N

I'll second that. Thanks for the feedback. It is difficult to run an engine under load if used mainly on flat freeflowing roads. I don't have that problem as I live in a very undulating area with mainly small twisty roads with a reasonable amount of traffic. I am not afraid to drive a new quality car [or truck or tractor or any other quality engine] reasonably hard. It is likely that your engine will continue to improve in performance [albeit subtly] and reduce its consumption of oil if you continue or increasingly give it some hard work. Once it stabilises it will probably last for a few hundred thousand miles before noticeable wear. I have a friend who exceeded 200,000 miles in his Allroad with oil changes every

20,000 hard miles in just over three years. Engine was a peach and didn't use a drop of oil when he sold it because he was tired driving the same car and was in need of a change. I wouldn't run a 20000 mile schedule personally and can see why people brainwashed to accept 3000 miles as normal throw up their hands in horror. I hit a psychological barrier at 15,000 miles for no good reason. I know why VW/Audi have that first 5000 mile service in the USA and it is not because it is needed for the engine. Mine has done 10,000 already and it consumes none of its original oil fill and has never been topped up.

Treated with the same driving style I have never had an engine that consumed any oil except an old Land Rover which was a model noted for using oil anyhow. Up until the very last year that one used about a quart between 5000 mile oil changes. It finally wore out after 24 years this January. I hope that my new Audi [and yours] gives such sterling service.

Maybe the oil will have almost run out by then and we will be driving Flintstone style.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In message , Huw writes

I agree entirely with your view and the advice that you gave, but I fear that you will find yourself at the receiving end of a lot of flaming. It just so happens that my own experience reflects that of Roscoe; an initial high use of oil which dropped off dramatically as the miles increased, and since about 12000 miles it has been negligible.

Reading this group and other forums has made me realise that oil changing intervals have become almost a matter of religious creed for many people, especially for many in the USA for some non-obvious reason. I am not an automobile engineer or a materials scientist so my starting point has to be to what the manufacturer recommends. If I am to deviate significantly from their published recommendations (servicing handbook), then it should be for reasons based upon evidence of bad advice from the manufacturer, not hearsay.

You really do like flirting with danger, don't you? :)

Reply to
Dave N