oil filter

any one have any experience using the below generic brand oil filter for A4 1.8 2001? bosch, mann, mahle.. Is it o.i. to use the generic brand?
Hunter

1.8 or 1.8T ?
The 1.8T has had an upgrade on the oil filter, it is larger now to accomadate the anti sludge problem the americans seem to have.
I used the standard 1.8T oil filter, it was the same as the one I took off, and costs very little, about 8.00
There is a picture of it here
http://www.ronnysworld.com/oilfilter.JPG
www.ronnysworld.com/service.htm

Excuse the spelling lol, I meant to say accommodate :)
"audidrive" wrote

Mann/Mahle is the OEM filter manufacturer for VAG. Their filters are very good. Certainly better than FRAM or other cheap stuff you can find at your local auto parts store.
The standard filter on the 1.8T (if that's what you have) was 06A 115 561B. Audi (at least in the US) is recommending that the larger 068 115 561B filter be used instead.
Cheers,
Pete
I'm currently using the audi larger filter but thinking of switching to generic mainly to save money. Does mann/manhle sell the larger filter always or it's just one same size? Hunter
"audidrive" wrote

There is no "audi filter". Whatever audi sells is made by Mann or Mahle.

I'm sorry, what? Whichever one you ask for, that's the one you're going to get.
Pete
Boy, I don't think I'd switch to a cheaper oil filter 'to save money'..... I'd rather spend a few bucks more now and avoid a potential hassle if if didn't protect my engine... Knowing the sensitivity of the 1.8T engines to oil issues.... 'Pay me now or pay me later', like the old Fram ad said....
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA