OIL pressure Light

Help! I have an 1988 Audi 80 quattro. When slowing down, the oil pressure warning light on the dash comes on and there is a beeping. When I stop, the light
goes off and the beepings stops. Our service technician has checked and says it is not the sensor or oil pump. Claims it is the engine. This doesn't make sense to me absent any sign of an oil leak. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Sam
On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:25:38 GMT, "joyce kieser"

There are two oil pressure sensors. The other one is broken.
--
RoRo

Thanks for the reply. The service people claim they checked both sensors. Any other thoughts? Sam

Might just be a sensor but if not I'd say you might be looking at either a failing oil pump or possibly a sludged engine causing a blocked oil pump pickup. Dropping the oil pan will tell you. That said, I don;t know how easy that is on an 80 - it might or might not be simple. On an A4 its a bear of a job.
Have you been doing regular oil & filter changes? How many miles has this thing done & how clean is the oil in it?
Might be that it needs a treatment of this : www.auto-rx.com
Bottom line is that low oil pressure (assuming this is not a sensor fault) suggests a lack of oil circulating the engine which will lead to failure fairly rapidly. If you want to keep the thing you need to get it fixed.
I.
On Fri, 12 May 2006 03:52:22 GMT, "joyce kieser"

Your tech is aware that the two sensors work oppositely, i.e. one is normally open, and the other is normally closed?
If the sensors are OK, you only have three options left:
1. The oil pressure warning controller is bad. 2. The wiring from pressure sensors to the controller is bad. 3. You actually have low oil pressure.
First test: - Disconnect the wire from the high pressure sensor. - Connect the wire to ground and take a test drive.
If the beeping still happens, your problem is with the controller or its wiring. If the beeping goes away, you most likely have an oil pressure problem which could cause serious engine damage.
--
RoRo

If it looks like a lack of oil pressure why couldn't it be so? Change the filter and check again.
Ronald