on board computer fault

my reset switch or button on my right hand stalk for my on board computer will not reset the dash trip ,fuel consumption etc , i have strip the stalk backing off to see any faults ,cleaned connection s ,but still isnt working
,cud it be the dash instrument it self at fault?

What model/year are you referring to? Up through the 2002 models, I don't believe the stalk is used to reset the trip meter - there is a button mounted on the instrument cluster for that purpose.
Perhaps it is time to read the fine manual? ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
daytripper wrote:

There is also a trip mileage counter on the dash, which is supposed to be reset along with time, fuel economy, etc. when pressing *and holding* the button on the stalk. Just pressing it switches between the "trip" data and the "lifetime" data.
-- Mike Smith
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:13:44 -0400, Mike Smith

Really? Again, what model/year? The only trip meter on the B5 A4/S4 is directly adjacent to the odometer, and is cleared with a dash-mounted button, not the stalk...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
1998 A3 18T is the model everyone! im talking about the reset button under the right hand wiperswitch/ stalk !!of course,, which resets and controls the digital centre part of the dash instrumentation, like stop watch/ average / fuel consumption etc well mine will not reset it ,like i said ive striped the backing off the stalk to reveal the inside in which i have checked and cleaned ,but still isnt working ,so cud it be the dash instrument it self anyone plz help cheers
wrote:

computer
stalk
working