Opinions on 2002 A6 2.7 or 4.2

I am interested in the 2002 A6, eitther the 2.7T or the 4.2. Was just wondering what others thought of this year, any reliability issues?
TIA

GJM wrote:

Make sure you get an extended warranty.

twice before 100,000 kilometers (Audi A6 2.7 biturbo).
--
G. Tarantino - Switzerland
1997 BMW 535 (148,000 miles)

Is this same gearbox as in the All-Road or does it have a more rugged unit? Are newer years also prone to fail?
--
- Kyle

A couple years back the US Consumer Reports magazine called the A6 2.7T the least reliable car of any. I'm glad to hear reports that Audi is trying to increase their reliability, especially since most of the competition is coming out with AWD versions of their sedans.

Well, I have had my 2001 A6 2.7T for over 4 years now, and the only problem I even had was a faulty tranny at 15,000 miles, which was fixed immediately. Never had a problem with the turbos. I guess it is how you drive the car that would affect the reliability. You would do well with either the 2.7 or 4.2, but I didn't get the 4.2 because of the price dsiparity <$5,000> between the two, and if you check online, you will find that the 0-60 for the both are quite close.

Bought a 2001 A6 2.7T as a certified pre-owned. 2 year warranty. I've had it about 6 mos. and the only things wrong were that the auto-leveling headlights suck (point to the ground half the time, so I disconnected 'em) and the radio reception is terrible if you live very far away from the transmitters. Tested a 4.2 and a 2.7T and the turbo seems to do better at the high altitude where I live. Had a 1988 5 cyl. that went 300K and was still running fine.

Your headlights are covered under the Audi Assured Warrenty. The dealer will replace them and you will have only the $50 deductable.

Hopefully what's actually causing them to mis-point (bad chassis sensor) is covered, too...
I don't know what was the exact diagnosis but when my left headlight was pointing at the ground they replaced the whole headlight unit. If I recall correctly the parts alone were $500-$600 and I paid the first $50. I also asked them to re-code the computer to lock and unlock the doors automatically which they did at n/c.

When one headlight does it, it's the headlight assembly. When both start doing it together, it's the chassis ride sensor...