Opinions on tires?

It's time for mew tires for my stock 2000 A6-2.7T. Love the thing "Generally" speaking, have a few issues, but thats another post. (new right side ball joins at 56k miles?
Hmmmm...)
Currently I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A in stock 16" size. This tire is the quietest I've ever had. I love 'em for that. Handling is "OK". They wear a bit faster than I would like. I need an all round performance tire, but can't sacrifice too much cush.
That being said, I do like to carve high speed turns as if GS skiing. I realize the trade offs involved here. Also, I live in So. California and don't see much (any) snow, or have a long rainy season. Current opinions ?
Thanks. Rick
On 21 Dec 2005 11:07:37 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

I drove the A6 2.7T in 2000 and thought it was "under tired", that is, not enough tire for the car. I then drove the A6 4.2 and found it handled better. It had 255-40-18 and the difference between the two cars was because of the tires. I bought the 4.2 model because of this.
If I was replacing tires on the 2.7t, I would go for a premium performance tire. I have the same Dunlop 255-40-18 tires on my RS6 and they are superb.
Dave

My preferance is for Goodyear's Assurance ComforTred. You have to hang jingle bells to hear them. These pups have an 80K warranty. Mounting them was like getting a new car. http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/results_tire.jsp?mrktarea=Passenger
I do my tire research at www.tirerack.com
They will suggest tires for your year and model car and you can look at how people have rated those tires for somthing like a dozen different attirbutes, like wear, day handling, wet handling, noise, etc. You can also see the best sellers in your chosen category.