"options"

The new A4 1.8t with ultra-sport package looks sweet for those of us who can't afford a (new) S4.
But what baffles me is that a car that starts at $27k (quattro, 6-spd)
still has leather as an option. Leather, when it is an option, costs about $1000 (ok, maybe 1200, 1300) in many cars, but here it is friggin' $2000!!!
Also, if one loads up an A4 1.8t with every conceivable option, the price is in the $37,000 range, (just a few thousand less than a B5 S4 sold for a few years ago) but the front passenger STILL has a manual seat adjustment, just like in a $15k base Jetta with cloth seats and crank windows.
It's even possible to get rear side airbags in this car, bringing the total # of airbags, to, what, 8? 10? and it still has a manual seat adjustment for the front passenger.
And why not tune the 1.8t a bit better to get 180 or 190 HP? A Jetta with the 1.8t engine gets 180 HP.
What gives?

What's the big deal with no electric seat adjustment? How often do you find yourself adjusting the seat? Unless the car is driven by several people (personally, I don't let anyone drive my A4 ;-)), it's a "set it and forget it" type of thing. Don't need any more electrical crap to possibly go wrong...

The 220hp V6 is what gives. If they up the 1.8T in hp and torque, there will be very little incentive for people to spend money on the 3.0 V6.
There are 190hp versions of the 1.8T A4 in Europe, however. Of course they cost more, too.
Cheers,
Pete

Honey, he was talking about the PASSENGER seat, not the driver seat.

My bad, sweetheart.
;-)
Pete
Pete wrote:

If that were the reasoning, then why does VW make available a 180hp 1.8T and a 200hp VR6? Doesn't make sense.
-- Mike Smith
In alt.autos.audi, snipped-for-privacy@post.com (Frank) wrote:

Don't get us Europeans started on your cheap-ass cars again. $27k gets us *just* the leather seats without the car.

Thats the problem with living in the US, in the UK you can choose between 6 different 1.8T's
one of them is the 190bhp :)
Just for you I spec'd a top of the range Audi A4 Qauttro S - Line 190bhp
A4 Saloon
1.8 T quattro S line 190 PS 6 speed 22,650.00
Audi exclusive colours 1,500.00
Silver, black-black, black, black
Load Area Pack 65.00
Storage Pack 75.00
Acoustic parking aid - rear only 350.00
Acoustic parking aid - front and rear 510.00
Headlight washers 215.00
Aluminium trim strips 130.00
Heated, automatic dipping and folding door mirrors 360.00
Electric slide and tilt solar sunroof 990.00
Cool box 55.00
Manual side window blinds with electric rear blind 280.00
Electric rear windows 300.00
Boot load liner 130.00
Front centre armrest 110.00
Automatic dipping rear view mirror 160.00
Through-load facility - ski bag 170.00
Electric front seats 800.00
ISOFIX child seat preparation 70.00
Heated front and rear seats 600.00
Cruise control 400.00
Rear side airbags 375.00
Xenon headlights 750.00
Sports suspension 250.00
Servotronic power steering 165.00
Cassette box holder 40.00
DVD Satellite navigation system Plus 2,175.00
BOSE sound system 450.00
GSM mobile telephone preparation 400.00
TV and Teletext function 705.00
O.T.R. Price 36,005.00
I have then converted that to $$$$$ for you :) 36,005.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 68,044.30 USD United States Dollars 1 GBP = 1.88986 USD 1 USD = 0.529141 GBP
So .... thats 68k bucks for a top of the range 1.8T and that comes with leccy seats :)
Ronny
begin 666 1px_transp.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

--------lots of specs snipped-----

You got me beat..... and you have sort of helped me make my point. [I assume leccy means lazy or otherwise non-powered?]
-- Frank
snipped-for-privacy@post.com (Frank) wrote:

leccy == electric

(Frank) wrote:

Ahhhh, yes... the UK and the US, two cultures separated by a common language.