outside mirrors heating up

2000 A6
Just got the car back from the body shop after repairing the front end (ran into a wide-screen TV going down the interstate. it was only doing
70 and I was doing 75!) and noticed that the drivers side mirror (they had to take the door apart to do some adjusting) was **HOT** to the touch. Passenger side mirror was cool, so I thought that they had screwed up the wiring somewhere. Took it back to the shop and they swear that all is well.
Is this normal? Never really paid much attention to the outside mirrors before. Just wiped them clean now and then. Didn't notice that they were ever warm, much less HOT.
How do the mirrors work? Does a thermostat turn on the heating element, or does it come on when you start the car, or just when?

I'm pretty sure there's nothing automatic about the mirror heaters, they are controlled by the same switch as the rear window defogger. And they surely should not be *hot* to the touch - warm, maybe, but not hot.
They effed something up.
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:11:40 -0500, daytripper

Not on an A6, no. They switch on automagically below a certain outside temperature.

All depends on perception. Yes, they should not be so hot, that you can't touch them. But they should feel pretty warm. The glass at least..
What would bother me is: BOTH should do that.
W.
Wolfgang Pawlinetz wrote:

As they do on the A3.

Mine are NOT controlled by the rear window heater switch, they are on all the time......as far as I can tell. With the later mirrors there's an onboard thermostat that controls their temperature. Earlier heated mirrors overheated and burnt out. Mine did and I replaced them with the newer type about 2 years back and they been OK since.
dj A4 2.4 SE 1997

forgot to say, if your passenger side is not warm/hot then I would think its U/S.
does it defrost on those frosty days........
Lez Pawl wrote:

can't find anything so I'm reduced to taking it to my local wizard. If both mirrors did it, I wouldn't be quite as worried. But!!!