Pad wear indicator?

Page 1 of 2
My '98 A4 does not warn me against pad wear, does yours?
This is a clear case of underengineering!
JP Roberts
P.S: Even my old Citroen used to have one!

My wife's 96 A4 avant does - you get this very informative kinda grinding noise!

LOL!!!

Even funnier if he *wasn't* referring to the car ;-)

grinding
Heh
That grinding sound would be her teeth I suppose.
Definitely an indication to slow down and proceed with caution.

It should do. Mandatory fit, I thought.
Mind you, a lot depends upon how deep that little loop of wire is buried in the material of the front pads.. how did you find out? Metal-on-metal?
--

Hairy One Kenobi

It so happened I took my car to the stealership for routinely inspection last year, before starting my Xmas holiday - which I meant to fit some skiing in. As I started driving up a winding road I could hear some kind of brake noise - even without touching the brake pedal - on left bends. I tried braking hard because I thought a bit of rust might have settled in, and all of this was to no avail.
Since the stealer'd told me everything was fine after inspection, it took an enquiring mind to get a torch and check the rear pads - which funnily enough always wear faster than the fronts in my car, and there the culprit was, I needed new rear pads. I carried on to the skiing resort making use of the shortest gears possible and of as much anticipation as I was capable of, and the next day I had my pads replaced.
When I mentioned this to the stealer and I said how appalled I was at both their service and the fact that no wear indicator light turned on on my board, he said that of course, only S's have that stock - which is not true, either, as my father's A6 does have the little twinkly.
What about B6's? Do they get that stock?
Regards,
JP Roberts

in
opinion

"Hairy One Kenobi" wrote in message

on
AFAIK the handbrake never operates on disc-brakes (only on "drum" brakes or whatever they're called in english). If you got disc in all corners there will be a small, separate set of brakes to serve the handbrake. If the handbrake was operating on the hydraulic disc brakes I guess a pressure drop in the system over time would be very critical.
Regards Rune
Rune Skigelstrand wrote:

Rubbish. The handbrake draws a wire connected to a lever in the side of the (disc) brake. Pulling the wire causes the piston to move outwards. I'm assuming we're discussing the A4 or similar (have not bothered to check the start of this thread to see if this is the case).
Careful with that word "never". Take off a back wheel one day and have a look.
On newer Saabs and lots of other cars, the handbrake operates a variant of drum brake, even if the wheel in question is stopped by a disc brake.
/Robert ('01 A4 Avant, '99 Saab 9-3, '83 Saab 900)

operate
or
there
the
assuming
of this

look.
drum
Actually, that's very often true (hence my fudging ;o), but not always.
IIRC, the 2CV (just to take an example) used an entirely separate braking mechanism - two additional pads on the front wheels. c1937 or so.
Implementations vary.. when I fudge an answer, I try to do it properly ;o)
H1K
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:14:33 -0000, wrote:

The French don't count. Well, maybe to 3. Sometimes.
--
Mark

operate
or
there
the
assuming
of this

look.
drum
"AFAIK" should be careful enough, don't you think?

or
The design you're thinking of (a small mechanical drum brake at the center of the disk) *is* used in BMWs, at least. However, the Audi design actually *does* operate directly on the disks. It is a cable-actuated *mechanical* system (separate from the hydraulics) that clamps the rear pads to the disks by pushing on the pistons. Personally, I think it's kind of a stupid, overly complex and expensive design, but that's what it is. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Well, he was correct. Our cars do not have rear brake pads with wear sensors. Only fronts do. That goes for both B5 and B6 A4, and I'm pretty sure the S4 as well.
As far as why the rears wear out faster, I can think of two reasons:
1. The pads are thinner to begin with. 2. The rear rotors are not vented, which means they don't dissipate heat as efficiently as the fronts do. Higher operating temperatures cause the pads to wear out quicker.
Cheers,
Pete
Pete wrote:

3. Occasionally driving around with the handbrake on (sometimes people don't notice if it's up one or two clicks).

Never my case. The only abuse I can think of would come as a result of abrupt starts - thus involving EDS - which is not my case either, and the occasional brief drifting session on a deserted icy car park, but both of these should affect the fronts more than the rear as the brakes will need to counteract a bigger front torque contribution.

as
pads
And the rears have to put up with a lot or rubbish churned up by the front wheels, and they often don't have enough work to do either, causing rust on the discs and excess wear on the pads. The apparent paradox that the rears wear quicker than the fronts is familiar to many Audi (and Golf GTI) drivers.
Regards
Jonathan

I was told by the dealer my B5 doesn't have sensors at the front either, did you check that the wires you see in yours are not just ABS's?

Anyone with a B6 to confirm this?

as
pads
An excellent explanation, but why the heck are the rears so very thin? On average the fronts will last twice as long as the rears in my car!

did
Well, my B5 is a 2001 and it definitely has front brake pad wear sensors. As a matter of fact, I had new EBC Green pads put on today, and they had wear sensor wires/connection that had to be plugged in after disconnecting the plugs from the old OEM pads. I am looking at the EBC brake catalog as we speak, and even for 95-99 A4s they have pads with wear sensors, although slightly different connector shape. So, I'm 99% sure your car should have them.

I hear ya. I had pads replaced on all 4 corners today, and the rears were worn out way more than the fronts.
Cheers,
Pete