Pad wear indicator?

Page 2 of 2

Ooops! Scratch that idea. A quick search through AudiWorld archives shows that in 1998, the A4 did not even have front brake pad wear sensors. That only started in 1999. Sorry about that.
Cheers,
Pete
Thanks Pete, I was beginning to think my A4 was the ugly duckling out there.
JP Roberts

shows

as
pads
Ahem. I believe that between 70-98% of the braking force acts on the front wheels only.. don't know specifically for Audis.
Does /that/ help? ;o)
H1K

That's generally true, although I don't know the exact percentages. It still doesn't change the fact that the front pads are thicker and work in less stressful (better heat dissipation) conditions. ;-)
Cheers,
Pete
My -98 A6 only has pad wear indicators on the front brakes (as these are supposed to wear out first I'm told). If your rear pads always wear out first I'd say your rear calipers are stuck/partly stuck and needs to be moved up/replaced. This is very common here (Norway) due to salting of roads during winter.
Regards Rune

Rune Skigelstrand wrote:

Recheck your sources. Placement of sensors was not determined due to how often front or rear pads wear out.
The idea with having the sensors on the fronts is that loss of braking ability on the front axle has greater consequences than losing it on the back.

Not always. Many will tell you that they've worn out more rear pads than fronts, despite having fully-functional (i.e. not binding or rusted) sliding calipers and pistons. But yes, stuck calipers will cause dragging pads, hence wear - but this problem is easy to detect due to the outside pad wearing more quickly than the inside one, on a given brake.

I agree with that one, living in Scandinavia. I have had a stuck caliper on the rear, due to salt water seeping through the rubber bellows protecting the pin on which the caliper slides. It was sufficient to file away the rust, grease it, refit, then replace pads. I must have dislodged the bellows through careless use of my water hose . . .
/Robert (Sweden)

Are you still on your original pads, or were they replaced at some point in the past and pads without wear sensors were installed?
Cheers,
Pete

No pad wear sensors on mine either, 97 Quattro, Don't think it was fitted standard, there is also no wires to plug any into, I checked last time I replaced the pads
Ron