Once it is released the glass will pull out easily and you will then disconnect a wire on a spade connector. The wire is for the heating element and is mad of aluminum. It will probably break off but on the old one that is no problem. Just be careful when installing the new one to avoid breaking the connector.

Replacements are available from dealer and after market (cheaper) sources.

A thread on the same subject at the AudiWorld forum:

For a replacement contact: Chris at force5auto.com

Easy fix.

Tony '91 100q 5spd

bill wrote:

Reply to
Tony

Tony, Yep, that works well for the mirror, but I hope Bill isn't looking for some small plastic tabs holding his window on ;-) Bill, Somebody may have been trying to get into your car by prying the window out, or it may have been something as simple as a strategically placed stone chip and a partially rolled down window. Yes, you can replace the window without much headache, actually a bit less than the windshield because there's not the huge amounts of adhesive to contend with. The doors of the Type 44 cars are assembled in essentially 3 pieces: skin, window frame, and inside mounting frame. Remove the interior door panel and you'll see how it all goes together - basically the inside mounting frame is bolted to the skin, and the window frame is mounted between the two. Make sure you mark the relative position of everything, and don't lose the shims between the skin and the mounting frame. The window itself will be super easy to get - junkyards are full of Type 44 cars (mostly 5000's) - check out

IIRC, the window mounts on the regulator shuttle with a couple of bolts. If you want to keep your window frame, you'll have to slide the upper window guide out of its track - I must note that any weatherstripping that was exposed to the shattered window may now contain glass bits that will damage the replacement window - it may be better to replace the whole window and frame as a unit (and the door skin sill stripping as well). The Bentley Manual will be a help, and so will: Chris Miller's web site:
cable repairCheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply) "Tony" wrote in message news:412b90ab$0$8089$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.visi.com...
Reply to
Steve Sears

Steve and Tony,

Thank you for your replys. It is the window that broke, not the mirror. The mirror I had replaced before because of the discoloring around the edges. As for how the window broke, I'm believing that heat built up in the car, and the pressure of closing the door shattered the window, which would be odd since it didn't get real hot in NH over the weekend. It couldn't have been someone trying to break in (unless they were really stupid since the door was unlocked, I live in a very safe neighborhood). The stone chip idea had crossed my mind, but that would mean that a neighbor kicked one up while weedwacking and didn't tell me about it, so, for my own piece of mind, I'm not going to focus on that. I have found a new window from Force5Auto, $40 seems pretty cheap to me. I do have the Bently manual that I looked at, it seemed relatively easy, but, I've noticed they assume you all ready kind of know what you're doing, so it sometimes seems easier than it actually is. I haven't looked in the book for this particular yet, but is it best to have the window down or up while changing it?

Thanks again Bill

regulator cable repair> Cheers!

Reply to
bill