perhaps a new Audi owner

Hi everybody, i'm new in this NG and i would like to have an advice before decided between 2 cars. I hope not beeing unpleasant but i hesitate with a new A3 1.6L or 2.0L (petrol
engine) and an Alfa 147 1.6L or 2.0L (petrol too) I like the new look of the A3 but find the Alfa more sporty exterior and the dashboard is amazing. In my family, my 2 uncles have a A4 TDI quattro AVANT and a A4 V6 quattro. Other one have a Alfa 156 , the choice is hard for me, i would like to take both the A3 and the Alfa 147 but it's just a dream so any advices ? Thanks all B.D.
You have access to what you need. Drive both the AUDI and the Alfa and compare the features and price. Personally I believe the AUDI would be more reliable.

I'm waiting for a test drive for the A3 at my local dealer, i can't compare with my uncles cars as they are not the sames models, more powered TDI and 4x4, and i don't want diesel engine. The 156 is bigger than the 147, difficult to compare too. i would like to have differents opinions on these cars because in my family they all says that their cars are better than the others so it's not objective opinion. BD.

Different from what?

And you think that here you will get an objective opinion? How can a bunch of personal opinions make it objective? Just like with your family, except we don't come to your Xmas dinner. And, beyond any doubt, my car is better than any other, simply coz it's mine.

I'd definitely make sure you test drive the A3, especially if you're considering the 1.6 as the car is quite heavy and the 1.6 might feel rather lethargic.
--
Toby

DesmaisonLCM wrote:

I personally chose between BMW Compact, Alfa 147 and new A3, and ended up to A3 2,0 FSI. I found it looks best, it's better to drive, and, it's not going to get replaced this year/next year, like Compact & Alfa 147.
And at least here, Alfa's have terrible resale value, they lose half of the value when you drive them out. This is mostly because of bad quality Alfa has in their cars, electricity problems and that they're not good winter cars.
Alfa is the cheapest, just buy one that's been used a year and it's 2/3 of the original price. That's what made me thought about it, but the lack of quality is what makes it so cheap and I don't want that.
- Yak

thanks for your answer, i'm going to test drive an A3 this week-end, not sure for the 147 . I know about the resale value of the Alfas but they are cheaper so the gap is not so big .The most important for me is to have pleasure when driving, the look is important too but i find both A3 and 147 pretty. i need good handling, i do not use motorway but little country roads so i want a feed back car to have fun even at legal speed limits. After test driving both i will decide, and i must look at the interior too. B.D.
I have owned a 156 and a S3. I now own an 98 A6 and a 96 Alfa Spider. My comment on all of these is, the Audi is the daily workhorse and the Alfas are the fun cars - they make you smile. In terms of reliability the S3 turned out to be the most un-reliable car I have ever - repeat ever - owned. Talk to an Alfa owner and get their opinion. Alfa's are no way as un-reliable as history or myth would have you believe. In the UK any AA or RAC technician will tell you Audi/VW don't deserve their reputation of good reliability, they are just good at telling us they make reliable cars.
On 16 Apr 2004 06:21:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (DesmaisonLCM) wrote:

Well Audi make the best car interiors, end of story :)
--
Toby