Pirelli tires wearing on outside edges

Our 2002 A6 with 21K has both front ties wearing the outside edge. It was in for oil change and a few other things. Braking vibration and steering wheel vibration were a few of the other problems. The dealer claims our tires are well worn and in need of 4 new tires at $780. Anyone have this problem? These are original Pirelli tires. The tires look like they are flaking at the edges. Not that the rotated the tires for us.

Reply to
Mike B.

What you need is to have your steering aligned before fitting any new tyres on.

My two cents,

JP

"Mike B." escribió en el mensaje news:6GYqb.16088$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Yea, I would have the alignment checked. Sound like the front is toed in.

Gene

Reply to
Gene

If it were 121k, then I'd take a look at wheel bearings and slackness in tie-rods etc.

At such a relatively low mileage, I'd take a look at poor tyre [tire] balancing and tracking.

Assuming that it's never been kerbed in its life, of course. (If it has, then there's the chance of bent stub axles, damaged wheels, damaged bearings, bent wishbones, and "the whole nine yards")

Either way, you would appear to have a severe alignment problem.. the trick is in finding the precise cause ;o)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Hi,

Sounds like tracking to me too. If it is a Quattro, make sure you find someone who has all of the right gear. You need to track toe in/out at the front and back, as well as camber and a few other things. If the right kit is not used, you'll end up with even worse problems.

I find that as I drive my A6Q hard, I always wreck the outer edges of the tyres because it suffers from horrible understeer, so I automatically get my tyres rotated side-to-side every 2 months.

Hope this helps

Ashley

Reply to
Ashley Shepherd

You actually uunmount and remount the tiress from the rims every two months? (That is the only type of tire rotation that will move the outside edges to the inside. Leaving the tires on the rim and doing a side-to-side rotation leaves you with the same outside edge, but the tire is rotating the opposite direction)

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Yes I do, it is the only way to make my tyres last more than 2 months.

I have also altered the tyre configuration. I run the old style Goodyear F1 tyres on the rear, and the new style on the front. I have found that the new F1's have about 5-10% more grip, and it has helped to dial out some of the understeer, and increases my chances of getting the rear-end to slide out a bit, thus making it "more fun to drive"!?

I have also replaced the standard, useless, Audi brakes with Tarox. These match the extra grip at the front, meaning braking is more positive (especially in the wet, they actually work now).

Ashley

Reply to
Ashley Shepherd