Pls help...6 cyl or 8 cylinder Luxury autos ?

Pls help...6 cyl or 8 cylinder Luxury autos ?

My sister in California is thinking of buying a "used" Luxury car / sedan around 5 years old like a Mercedes or Lexus.

She is confused as to the gas mileage for 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder luxury cars and the related cost of gas.

I was told that for normal driving say 10,000 miles or so in a year, the cost difference wasn't much on a weekly basis even with these high gas prices.

Is the story any different with 6 cyl and 8 cyl SUVs ?

Pls educate us on this as we are NOT all knowledgeable

Thanks Anna

Reply to
anna

"anna" wrote

Not trying to be a smartass, but looking at mpg figures for the specific cars you're interested in and multiplying by the gas price doesn't work for you?

Also note that most luxury high perf. engines require premium fuel (91+ octane).

Cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete

If the primary concern is the cost of operation/fuel, a heavy luxury car, whether with 6 or 8 cylinders, is not the correct choice.

Eric

Reply to
RubEric

HI ! I've owned both 6 and 8 cylinder engined cars. From the thermodynamic view point, the 6 cylinder will mostly use less fuel, but this difference is mostly in city driving and not so much on highways. So, if you drive a lot on highways, go for a 8 cylinder, as it is smoother. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
GT