Preventative Water Pump Replacement on 1.8T Engine?

I have a 2001 A4 Avant 1.8T. At 80000 miles, I had the timing belt replaced, along with the timing belt tensioner (as recommended by the service technician at the dealership).
I know that at least in the past it was standard practice on some cars where the timing belt drives the water pump (many makes, Honda and various Chrysler models come to mind) to replace the water pump along with the timing belt.
The service technician says replace the pump only if it is leaking. While I would certainly do that, my greater concern is that the pump shaft might seize and break the timing belt, trashing the engine.
Any experience or advice on this. The timing belt will be due for replacement again in about 2 years. Should I replace the water pump at that time?
Don Borowski

Of course. By the time you've carved your way to the timing belt and tensioner you might as well change the pump and not have to worry about it 'til the next belt change - when you'd change the pump again...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, there's usually a good reason why this is "standard practice" ;-)
As long as you change it with a NEW OEM pump. If you put in a rebuilt, you might have a failure sooner than it you left the original one in there.
daytripper wrote:

Unless there is some sort of magic in Audi water pumps that make them go 160K miles, you would be better off changing it out as a preventive maintenance item. As one poster noted: this is pretty much trivial to do once you open up the front of the engine to replace the timing belt. Conversely, if the pump should fail between timing belt changes, it's also trivial to put in a new belt.
Labor is a big price factor in changing these things out.
Ken