Private Tech or private shop?

Hello All,
My car is just about out of warranty, (ends today). Probably won't be going to the dealer much anymore, for parts maybe. As for repairs that I won't be
doing myself, should I find a private shop, or find get one of the Audi dealers techs to do some work on the side? I don't know what his (the tech's) going rate is, or the going rate for any garage to be honest (I've always done repairs myself).
I was speaking to the Audi tech today, he's fine with doing stuff on the side. So what do you say?
Thanks a bunch, Romy
1998.5 A4Q 2.8
I vote for the Audi tech, providing that he is good! ;-)
later, dave