Puzzled by the rubber choice of the previous owner

My A4 Avant Quattro came with 17" original rims wearing Continental ContiProContact 235/45R17 so I assume the car has sport package (A cursory look at the
spare revealed that it is also 17")
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why would any one buy a car with sport package and outfit it with the OE grand touring all season tires.
Do most people with entry level luxury cars in NJ ride on all seasons?
Please enlighten me on New England driver's tire purchasing habits. Thanks.