Quattro Expense

Page 1 of 7
I was talking to my local mech about AWD/quattro vs FWD and he said that while it drives nicely the added long term expense is not worth it. I am going to buy an A4 but not sure about FWD or AWD.
Any comments about the long term costs of Audi AWD?
Thanks in advance.

Long term expense? Can you ask him to elaborate on this? The system is nearly bullet-proof. Sure, it would cost a lot if you had to replace it, but the fact is, it rarely ever needs any fixing/maintenance.
The only added expense I can really see is slightly higher fuel consumption. For me, that's a small price to pay for the fun and convenience it delivers.
Cheers,
Pete

By higher expense I mean costs associated with the quattro system that would not occur with a FWD. Running costs would be higher vis a vis fuel but I am concerned about 'hidden' costs laying out there to ambush my wallet.
Dick writes:

There are none. I've been driving Quattros since 1986 and wouldn't have anything *but* a Quattro. There are no "hidden" costs as far as I have experienced. My first Quattro was actually a VW Sychro (VW badge and body, but Audi 5cyl engine, xmsn, and drive). I put 80K on it without any problems except normal maint (tires, oil, shocks, brakes). The same with my 90 2000 Turbo-Quattro. I put more than 80K on it, and my son-in-law drove it for another 30K without any problems. Both of these cars were TSD Rally cars; they saw a helluva lot of dirt roads at high speeds and never quit or failed. Front wheel drive? For kiddies. d;o) Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Dave LaCourse wrote:

Perhaps he was referring to the Ur-Quattro (quattro turbo coupe). That ca be expensive to look after when it gets old. Fantastic car though. I also don't believe any of the expense is directly related to the 4wd system- more to other parts (suspension, braking, exhaust manifold & system) that are very expensive. I don't think a quattro A4 would carry any horrors over the FWD version.

body, but

2000
they
Front
There are some, the higher fuel use, more expensive oil changes, and when it comes to replacing tires you have to buy pairs not a single tire, so there are many factors that can make the Quatt. more expensive.

3 or 4%, already noted

Nope
Actually, you have to buy four at a time ;-) but on the up side the tires *may* last longer than had they been mounted on a FWD or RWD car. Tire wear is phenomenally even in my experience...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
Ditto the even tire wear experience. Also, my A6Q wagons have been kind to tires - i.e. I get lots of miles out of my tires. (But I am a fairly conservative driver and keep the tires slightly over inflated.)
Bob
wrote:

tire, so there

and when it >comes to replacing tires you have to buy pairs not a single tire, so there are many factors that can make the Quatt. more expensive.

call your local oil change places and they will charge you more, same class as 4x4, I bet the diff. is more than 3-4% look at a pickup with 4x4 it's more than 10%. more expensive insurance, and the tire thing is a big thing, in other cars the non-drive wheels get less wear so they last longer

Wrong. Are you being intentionally obtuse on this matter, or do you routinely get robbed by your "local oil change places"?
Clue: The oil pan on my S4 is exactly in the same place as it is on a 32v NA FWD A4. And my dealer charges me exactly the same price as if I had a 32v NA FWD A4 and used the same oil.

Then you'd still be guessing wrong.

Clue: we're not talking about pickups.

Ah, you're throwing in some fresh red herring. Nice.
Pray tell us, exactly why an otherwise identical car of the same replacement cost would cost more to insure because all four wheels are driven?

No, it isn't a "big thing", unless you're driving a car too far above your financial condition. The average annualized cost of tires on a quattro car is most likely identical or better to the fwd version, due to the even tire wear, and for the same reason is likely as good as any rwd car of similar size and weight.

Hilarious! And so wrong. You've never seen the front tires on a Ford 2WD pickup truck with the "twin I-beam suspension" after 10K miles. If you had ever actually owned a RWD car for a few years you would never have come to that conclusion. And if you owned a FWD car you'd probably be sobbing about how quickly the front tires wear out.
Ya know, telling *quattro owners* how much it costs to maintain *their* quattro cars was a non-starter from the get-go. That you persist in your nonsense is telling...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

class
routinely
NA
NA
replacement
is
wear,
and
about
not at all, I do my own oil changes but they still charge a different amount for any cars with no standard drives. I've seen that it's a 3 mile difference that's more than 3-4% or is math not your strong suit. With AWD your more likely to drive different (not cautious) in inclimate weather, so higher insurance, call and see what they say. I highly doubt that buying 4 tires is the same cost as replacing two at a time, touch on the over means. You showed two cars and the last time I checked Ford + Tires is not something to compare and I've owned almost every type of car. I have a 02 A6 4.2 so I know a thing or about the cost of ownership, so ask before you ASSume. No nonsense just knowledge you should learn some.

No, they don't.

Provide where you got your information then.

As it happens I have to speak with my agent in the morning. I'll try to remember to ask.

Sure you have. And yet you know so little about tire wear.

Sure you do. And yet you don't have a clue about cost of ownership.
I'm quite content to ASSume you're the totally clueless person you appear to be, thanks for asking.
btw, I think I hear your mommy calling...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

amount
not your strong suit.

weather, so

time, touch on the over means.

any time you want to call a local Ohio place I'll be more than happy to give you the number, if you don't believe me go to progressive and see. if you want the VIN I can provide it, just make sure your life partner is not upset at you using the puter so much.
Tha Ghee writes:

I believe the original poster was looking for flaws in the Quattro system causing more expensive repair costs. As I and many more have testified, there are NO extra repair costs with the Quattro system.
More expensive oil changes? Why? While a Quattro will get 2 or 3 mpg less than the fwd Audi, the safety of the Quattro system, especially in inclement weather, far outweighs any piddly cost difference. In all the years I've driven Quattros, I have never had to replace tires prematurely because one failed. But, when I do replace them because of normal wear, I buy four (of course!) I've own front wheel drive cars that ate up the front tires much faster than a Quattro would, so any difference in cost would be minimal and again, the safety and performance of Quattro makes up the difference.
Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
On 08 Jan 2004 15:23:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

I have been looking for the fly in the ointment, so to speak, about costs but it seems to be flyless, generally. I agree that the small cost associated with a) an Audi and b) a quattro are part of the deal with a slightly upmarket vehicle and the added saftety with said vehicle is much greater than the cost. In short, the additional cost of buying a vechicle with side air-curtains, > cabin rigidity, AWD etc for day to day use is marginal but in that .75 seconds when 'my' vehicle meets another vehicle or an immovable object, then the additional cost is well worth it. I am buying safety, ultimately and am willing to pay for it.

(Dave LaCourse)

when it

there
just want you to know that you don't have to have AWD with electronics you can do that, just like the new G35 and not have the fuel loses, and Audi's aren't the more reliable cars on the road. that's all I wanted to point out.
Tha Ghee writes:

Then why all the beating-around-the-bush, twit. That is only your opinion. Mine is that Audi Quattro is far better than any comparable rice burner.
Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

you
Audi's
opinion.
so a Audi is better than a Lexus, BMW, Acura, or Infiniti??

point
Ah well, troll-feeding time again..
1. Audi's don't tend to have "fuel loses". In fact, I've only ever come across one car with a leaking petrol tank - an MGB where the garage had neglected to tighten the coupling. Easily fixed.
2. Last time I looked, Munich was not in Japan.
--

Hairy One Kenobi

Of course.
Harhar.