Quattro Expense

Page 5 of 7
It is Northland Porsche Audi he is referring to. It is the generally thought to be the better of the two dealerships in the Cincinnati area.
It is also where I bought two Audi.

wrote in message news:400cc21a$0$36161

me I was wrong, but alas I'm not. I got my A5 there when the Josephs bought it out.
deep-water two-step while he wrote:

Go to smarter oil change places. Problem solved.

If the automatic transmission in your Yugo goes out, that'd be a HUGE expense for you. The question then is: do Yugo transmissions fail?
You've already been told the quattro (small q, please) system is not known to fail, hence the expense of replacing it for vast majority of owners is never incurred.
Can you say the same thing about your Yugo?

That statement reflects either an utter lack of understanding of what AWD means vs what traction control does, or it is simply an example of a poorly stated point. Your pick.

You brought up tires as an issue - don't make me go back and copy your original post or I'll get cranky. You have since been told that tire life may actually be superior with quattro.

No, that's not what you said. *I* pointed out that tires for a quattro are bought in fours. Whether a unrepairable tire can simply be replaced with a new but identical tire depends on wear, which in the end isn't all that different from 2WD...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

like I just posted 4x4s and performance vehicles cost more, I do my own so it's a moot point. no a proper TCS is similar not the same but gets the power to the wheels that need it, just like Quatt. I don't want you to get mad, I just want to see how the tire wear is better for Quatt. I went and looked in my maint. guide and it said all 4 tires should be changed at the same time or damage COULD occur to the AWD system.
On 08 Jan 2004 15:23:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

OK, but now I have a situation with snow tires where one was punctured in the side wall after 10k miles and replaced under road hazard warranty; will this one new tire create problems with my differential? My independent garage assures me it won't.
xymergy writes:

Probably not. And, sidewall punctures/failures are rare, at least in my millions of miles of driving. Never experienced it. Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
On 08 Jan 2004 23:54:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

Your answer confirms my suspicion, plus this new tire is the exact same mfr, model, and size as the other three. As for the puncturing (punctuation?? :), that happened because I was overly assiduous in parking the car on the street next to the curb. What really happened was that I slightly slit the sidewall by scraping it on the curb, weakening it. No air loss, but a disaster waiting to happen.
snipped-for-privacy@suds.com wrote:

I believe there are still places around that will shave a new tire down to match other tires. Check if this is cost effective for you.
- D.
(Dave LaCourse)

car. I think tirerack or most local racing/performace car places will do this for a few.

Gosh! You've heard of tire shaving! I'm stunned! Of course, I'm not surprised that you seem to be ignorant of the fact that this is *not* done to make the tires the same diameter, but for *competition purposes*! Autocrossers and dedicated track driving enthusiasts as well as road racers will have the tread shaved down for reasons I won't bother to explain to you. You ought to be able to "goggle" it sufficiently to find out. If not, at least it will keep you out of here for a few minutes ... -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

the tires can't deviate more than 1/4". yes autocrossers also use this but so do a lot of AWD cars, but you should know that.

Ummm; sure. Whatever you say.

Gee; you'd think that in over 10 years of teaching driving schools for the BMW and Audi QUATTRO clubs, I'd have run into (or even heard of) *somebody* who shaved his tires to size ... but I haven't.
BTW, want to tell us all you know about AWD differentials? Start with how many Audi Quattro differentials *you've* ever seen *fail* (as I seem to recall that was the original topic here). Of those, how many failed because the tire diameters diverged by more than your 1/4" benchmark? When you determine that number, divide any whole number by it and tell us what message you see on your computer screen.
(Hint: "Divide overflow") -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; couldn't break that)

Here, in the UK, there were instances of differential failure in AWD Volvos, IIRC. The failure was, officially at least, blamed on different tyre sizes, due to not changing all 4 tyres at the same time, AFAIK.
Different set-up?
Anybody able to confirm? Or is my memory failing even more? :)
-- Doug Ramage

Having seen an AWD Volvo reverse on gravel, on full lock, with the inside rear wheel continually spinning and throwing up a barrage of stones, I have to believe that the technology is very different to the current quattro system.
Neither of my quattro-equipped cars have behaved like that Volvo.

AFAIK, yes - the problem first turned-up on the FWD "smoke, smoke, and more smoke from the front" hot estates and was a definite recommendation for the T5 (a friend of mine had one)
Subject to failing memory, I think they stated a maximum difference of only 1.5mm - particularly unrealistic in Basingstoke (UK joke - to the casual visitor, the town appears to consist of roundabouts connected by not a great deal else). With four tyres only lasting three months, he elected to swap the car..
AFAIK, Volvo now use Haldex, just like Audi.
H1K

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:24:54 -0600, "C.R. Krieger"

lol
I still think you folks are giving this nitwit WAY more time than he was ever worth...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd (don't feed the trolls - or the nitwits ;-)
wrote: <snip>

Who knows, he might learn something.. oh, hang on, there was that University comment.
We could always take the Darwinian POV - grit our collective teeth and hope he doesn't spawn/breed ;o)
H1K

sorry I'm not a know nothing like you.

shaving, not me.