... Quattro Expense and test drive results

Page 1 of 2
I am like sooo close. Just wrapping my head around the price.
The past weekend I tried the TSX and G35X. Results were:
TSX: OK, nice power, understeer, pretty good value and would consider
it if we are going FWD and Japanese only.
G35X: kind of like a biggish America saloon car, pretty good road feel, big cabin and a bit noisy and not an A4. And the sales guy was a maroon. Bad experience: we came back from the test drive and had to wait for him to find us in the showroom. Bad move. Right after we drove the Infiniti we went back and did another drive in the A4 Quatrro (I did a test drive the weekend prior). Mmmm, nice car. We went over exactly the same roads, looked for bumps, drove one side of the car in the dirt to feel the effects of going off road and back onto the hard top and the A4 wins. The Infiniti has a big engine and nice crap in the cabin but they are not up to German standards. Maybe in another 10 years. A4 is still on top, we just have to find the features and colour we want and then negotiate. The A4 quattro knows the road and it feels like it is glued down. And the torque is a ton better than the Infiniti. I checked this morning in a Consumers Report and the Audi hit 166ft/lbs at 1950 RPMs and the Infiniti’s same torque but about 4700 or so. Not much pull and you have to wait to either get out of trouble or get away from it. And both cars we tested had automatic. The A4 Sport mode rips, better than the standard and it also has manu-matic or what ever they call it. I tried out the manu mode in the G35 and it was kind of ugly. The G35 engine is what the Japanese think the Americans want: more power, more noise at the cost of actually building a good car around it. They use the same engine is about 10 models which is good for commonality but they miss the mark when it comes to driving.
As for the expense, quatrro is a safety feature. I am just about to get the list of cars with the packages I want. And the A4 FWD CVT: I would pick it before TSX. Audi also includes 4 year bumper to bumper, cheap money to loan, the dealer wants my sale and shows me he does and a much much better experience than with Infiniti. And the Infiniti sales guy chewed gum the entire time we with him.
This was Audi's sale to lose and they hit it out of the park every time. As for the Japanese: come back in about ten years. And BMW and Mercedes: too much dough for the same thing which is not as good as the bullet proof quattro. I am looking forward to owning the A4 and going on a fab road trip thru the mountains this spring. My wife doesn't normally (never as a matter of fact) drive on road trips but this one, guaranteed she will have some left seat time.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wait, was that salesman's name Tha Ghee by any chance?
;-)
Cheers,
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

His name i Jim Gumchew. Use to have a mullet until his hair thinned out. He was the 'perfect' car salesman. Not a compliment.

Add pictures here
βœ–

telling her not to come to the basement.
Add pictures here
βœ–

dummy now??
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tha Ghee writes:

Uh, where is the proof? If you are saying the Quattro costs more because it requires more oil than a Chevy beater, then you are correct. But other cars carry as much oil and more as the Audi, and they too are charged the same price, plus the difference in the amount of oil. There is no difference in the Quattro Audi's oil change price than the same model without Quattro. Period! Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

pigheaded to see this just look in the post about Quattro Expense and you will see that someone cosigned my statement if you can't read that I'll mail you out a Braille copy or call you on the phone so you can have this info.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ghee writes:

Now, let's go over that a pick out some of the mistakes. I'm not an English major and it's been a few years, but I'll give it a try.....

What university was that? I probably missed something else, above, but the tears in my eyes from laughing at you are just to much to continue.
Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

You, of course.
Once again, you've shown everyone that you don't have a clue about anything. If you get charged more than the "manager's special" because your engine requires more than 5 quarts of oil, then it has NOTHING to do with quattro. Whether it's a FWD or AWD, the engine oil sump capacity remains the SAME.
FYI... an A4 1.8T quattro (and FWD) has about 4 qt oil sump. An A4 3.0 quattro (and FWD) has about 6 qt oil sump.
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

The Ghee is threadbare.
Audi has bumper to bumper coverage for 4 years. I have not seen the warranty in person, so to speak, but have been told that it includes ALL consumables. Including brake pads. IOW, I pay for nothing other than gas for the car for 4 years. Tires are of course not included but I have been told that I will not have to spend any $ for the first 4 years. No other company (maybe MB sort of) offers this warranty. It is worth about $2K or so over 4 years. That is worth something that other companies don't offer. So for the same $ for a similar car (G35X for eg) you can save some $.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, basically during the warranty period (4 years or 50K miles), all the standard maintenance is free. This means 10K mile oil changes though. While this is probably OK for the NA engine, it's a bit long for the turbocharged one, especially that most Audi dealers use mineral oil (unless you're an RS6 owner). I forgot which engine you were considering...
I always used to bring my own synthetic oil with me when going in for these "free" maintenance visits.
Good luck with the purchase. Let us know when you get it and how you like it.
Cheers,
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

I will be getting an A4 Q 1.8T Premium and Sport packages with Ski sack and maybe the Lighting if I feel rich that day. If I have to bring my own oil... my sales guy seems to be pretty good. I will test him over the next few years to see just how good he is. And I always change at 5K km. Always.
Cheers to you.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dick writes:

My RS6 has a 5 year 50K on it, and that includes brake pads and rotors (Brembos). Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
I also make use of the free, 10,000 mile, oil changes with one difference. I also change it at 5000 miles in-between Audi's changes. The materials cost for a mineral based oil/filter change is about $10, for synthetic oil/filter about $30.
I usually change the oil/filter myself. However, I will gladly pay a few extra dollars in the winter and pay a quikilube place rather than spend a half hour laying in the snow.
I have another reason in addition. Audis are of interest to many mechanics and a cup of hot coffee and a few polite questions often will get a plethora of information on your vehicles condition.
wrote in message news:400f1cd6$0$36184

Add pictures here
βœ–

after the bumper 2 bumper expires before that is on Audi's tab.
Add pictures here
βœ–

As as I said, threadbare.
My thread, I'll write about what I want.
So fuel costs are 4% higher, I buy one more oil change per year... blah blah blah. I have the money for the car and any service it will require.
I don't have to justify my understanding of the product, my need/want for the product or defend any of it to you or anyone else.. Free to choose. I choose to disregard your silly reply.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message news:400f1cd6$0$36184

not read.
Add pictures here
βœ–

LMAO!!!
Communicating with you is like hitting a brick wall with my head. It hurts because NOTHING gets through to you.
That someone who "cosigned [your] statement" with regards to oil change expenses wrote:

Now, how does that prove that your statement about oil changes is correct? IT DOESN'T!!! It only says that if you have a big engine, you don't get the "manager's special." IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH QUATTRO!!!
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hey, Pete. I think we are dealing with a 10 year old who has taken over his "mummies" <sic> computor.
d;o) Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think you're giving him too much credit. Most 10-year-olds know how to spell better than that. They also grasp simple concepts.
;-)
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–