Quattro flat tire replacement

I have a 2002 A6 2.7L Quattro and just got a flat tire. I know itís best to keep all 4 tires the same and keep the tread wear similar, but they donít make the specific tire thatís currently on the car any
more. How bad would it be if I just replace the one tire with a new one? What if I just replace the front two (left/right) and keep the rear tires I have? Thereís decent tread left on the 3 good tires so if I can get away with not buying 4 new tires, Iíd rather not...
‚úĖ

If you can find tires that are at least similar in behavior to the ones you are running now, put a pair of new tires on the rear wheels and put the best two of your current tires on the front. And use appropriate caution for the first few hundred miles until the mold-release agent on the new tires wears off...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

No need, my car's manual (guess you don't have one?) says that the tires on the same axle need to be within 3-5% of the same tread depth of each other. No need to replace all four. I had this scenario last year and purchased 1 new tire and used the spare, making the other tire the 'new' spare.
As far as the specific brand/model, I would just go with whatever is closest. Most times, when manufacturers discontinue a tire, they have a newer model/style that replaces it. Go with that.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

That's actually a pretty tight tolerance!
If we assume that a 'typical' tyre has a tread depth of 6mm, then the above suggests that the tread depth of the tyres must be within 0.3mm of each other!

‚úĖ

I believe the owners manual (at least in my 2003 A4) says all tires within 2mm (hope I remember the correct number). Otherwise the continual difference in rotation front to back heats the oil in the Torsen differential causing premature wear?
--Art
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:29:57 -0400, "Art M"

I was in Discount Tire awhile back and they wouldn't sell just two tires to a guy that had a Quattro.
Don't kill the messenger, I am just repeating what the manager told the guy ..... they (not sure if they is the store or the chain) had to pay for a new transmission once because the tires they put on weren't within the tolerance spec as written in the manual. Since they guy was down to 6/32 on two and the new tread would be 11/32, they refused to do it; they actually let him walk. The manager said, from now on, their policy is to replace all four so they avoid that issue.
YMMV.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:15:44 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@akamail.net" <Curtis Newton> wrote:

I agree. If the other three tires are worn, replace all four to be sure. That is the bane of Quattro; the tires should match all around. Also, I would not mix brands or models of tires. I stick with OEM on my Quattros.
Dave 03 RS6 (two year wait for my R8) 00 4.2 A6 (now with son-in-law) 94 S4 (now with grandson) 90 200 Turbo Quattro 86 VW Synchro Wagon
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I presume the flat tyre is actually un repairable?
Ste.D
Add pictures here
‚úĖ